[.net] MOGRE, a new .NET wrapper for the OGRE 3D engine

Started by
4 comments, last by Machaira 17 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, I'm developing a new .NET wrapper for the Ogre 3D engine, and as the sourceforge project page says, MOGRE (Managed OGRE) is
Quote:An advanced C++/CLI wrapper for the OGRE 3D rendering engine, that integrates the native Ogre engine into the .NET framework seamlessly.
Because the binding is made using C++/CLI, Mogre doesn't have the limitations and quirks of the SWIG-based OgreDotNet project, and it allows low level control of the binding mechanism for more flexibility and performance. You can download the installer that setups all the Ogre+Mogre prebuilt binaries to check it out here: Ogre+Mogre SDK installer Future plans: -Allow creation of .NET plugins that can be used by Ogre -Mono support (this is the toughest and will take time) If you have questions you can post here or to the Ogre addons forum. Any feedback will be appreciated! [Edited by - Bekas on October 3, 2006 12:40:35 AM]
Advertisement
Great work, I'd love to see development on this continue! As for Mono support, you'll have some troubles as Mono doesn't officially support C++/CLI.

Having a solution like this will help keep .NET support for OGRE up to par. Complete ports, like Axiom sometimes fall behind due to lack of developer support.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Downloading now. I like the structure of Ogre, just not having to deal with it using C++. I've pretty much gone totally Managed using C# and VB.NET.

edit: Looks like I didn't read closely enough. It just supports Managed C++?

[Edited by - Machaira on October 3, 2006 2:04:26 PM]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

It's written using C++/CLI. You can still use any .NET language you want.
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
As for Mono support, you'll have some troubles as Mono doesn't officially support C++/CLI.

Yeah, and I doubt it will ever do. I'm planning to use a Mono-specific solution, specifically the Mono Embedding API which offers the same level of control and flexibility as C++/CLI.

Quote:Original post by Machaira
It just supports Managed C++?

As Dorvo pointed out it's for all .NET 2.0 languages. All the samples are written in C#.
I'll have to take another look at it.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement