Sign in to follow this  
g0nzo

Downsampling and upsampling an image

Hi, I'm trying to implement an algorithm that requires downsampling and upsampling with different scaling factor. Till now I was using shaders for it because I had to store some additional information during downsampling. But now I just need to downsample/upsample a single channel texture. Can I just render the image to smaller/bigger render target and it will be filtered correctly? Or do I have to use shaders for it?

If you render from one texture to another with a bilinear (or better) min- or mag-filter installed on the sampler, then it will take care of all the scaling for you, whether your scaling factor is 1.0 or 1000000.0, uniform or non-uniform, affine-direct or otherwise. It is your responsibility, though, to make sure that the render-target has the right dimensions.
Often, shaders are used for convenience or performance, but to simply scale every channel of an image, rendering to a (pseudo) quad in the FFP works marvellously.

Regards
Admiral

Thanks!

I'll use FFP just for now and later probably move to shaders. My app gets a little to complicated for me, so I just wanted to make this stage as simple as possible and just make it work.