Sign in to follow this  
TheFez6255

Empires beta available for download

Empires is a 3rd person multiplayer shooter that I developed for my masters thesis. Its a very basic game, just fly around and shoot the other players. As you can tell from the screen shots, I'm not an artist but the planets and the sun (as well as the 1980s explosions) are procedurally created. Anyway, hopefully you download the game and like it (if you do, please tell other people about it). Constructive criticism is always welcome. Download it here As far as the thesis portion of all of this, the networking topology is what I'm concerned with. The game can switch between using a normal client/server topology and a hybrid (client/server and peer-to-peer) topology for the game. Since everyone is playing on a main server, I can switch between the two by simply pressing a button. Basically I'm trying to see if the hybrid approach improves bandwidth consumption, how it effects latency, how it effects the player's experience, etc. As such the more people I get to play, the better.

Pictures don't seem to work. Downloading demo now. Maybe I'm missing something but there didn't seem like much to do.

Thats a little odd about the pictures as they work fine for me. Oh well. As far as not being much to do, the game is designed to be a PvP game. If ever you've played the old game Net Wars, thats what this is basically. However since at most theres been 2 players on at the same time, yeah theres not much to do. If you get a bunch of friends on at the same time though, then you'll have something to do (namely kill one another).

Images don't load here either, but by using right-click I can still view them.

May I ask what your study is? I would love putting my engine (in development) to use to make a game for my master thesis. I study AI though, so I guess it's going to be though, at least it would have to feature some interesting AI.

Oh, and now that I reply, I can see the images in your post directly as well! Either you are editing your post atm, or there is just some weird bug going on :)

I figured out the image bug, the server for my website (which is hosting the images) keeps going down... Its annoying, I'm yelling at them now about it. :) I guess I need to find a new website to host the images.

As far as specific area of study for my program, we don't really have that in the masters program here. But considering the courses I've been taking, I've been focusing on networking, distributed programming, and database theory mostly.

No, it's not going down. Your free webhost does not allow hotlinking (stealing bandwidth from them to serve up content on another website). The images can only be viewed if viewed alone or from your website (the server checks the referer value)

Sign in to follow this