C++ Workshop - Data & File Streams (Ch. 17)

Started by
19 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 16 years, 12 months ago

Welcome to the GDNet C++ Workshop – Ch. 17

For a complete introduction to this workshop, please look here. Workshop Overview This workshop is designed to aid people in their journey to learn beginning C++. This workshop is targeted at highly motivated individuals who are interested in learning C++ or who have attempted to learn C++ in the past, but found that without sufficient support and mentoring they were unable to connect all the pieces of this highly complex but powerful programming language. This is a 'guided' self-teaching C++ workshop. Each student is responsible for taking the time to read the material and learn the information. The community and tutors that arise out of this workshop are here for making the learning process run more smoothly, but are not obligated to baby-sit a person's progress. Because everyone will be working from the same textbook (Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days 5th Ed.), students may find it easier to get answers to the specific questions they might have. There is no minimum age requirement, and there is no previous programming experience required. Additionally, this workshop does not attempt to defend C++ as a language, nor does it attempt to demonstrate that C++ is either more or less useful then other programming languages for any particular purpose. People who intend to start a discussion about the differences between C++ and ANY other languages (except as are relevant to a particular discussion), are encouraged to do so elsewhere. This workshop is for educational, not philosophical discussions. Quizzes & Exercises Each week will have quizzes and exercises posted in the weekly threads. Please try and answer them by yourself. As well, please DO NOT post the answers to Quizzes and Exercises within this thread. Once it becomes acceptable to post the answers to quizzes and exercises, an additional thread will be created each week specifically for the purpose of posting quiz answers. If you try with reasonable effort but are unable to answer the questions or complete the exercises, feel free to post a clarification question here on the thread. Tutors, myself, or others will do the best we can to point you in the right direction for finding the answer.

Chapter 17 – Working with Streams

Introduction Heya all! Here we are in week 17. Only 3 more weeks to go before we bring the workshop to a close. This week we'll be covering streams, i/o formatting, and special methods for getting input and sending output to the standard i/o devices. Finally, the chapter will wrap up with applying some of these techniques to the fstream classes for interacting with files. This will be especially useful for the current project. Speaking of which... Take a look at Project 2 if you've not already done so. It builds upon the topics covered in chapter 1, and also provides some new and interesting challenges for project design. As a tie in to this week, I encourage everyone to set up the program to read the room information in from file, allowing you to create new rooms, and change the connections between rooms just by modifying files on disk. See ya next week! Outline of the Reading - Chapter 17
  1. Overview of Streams
  2. Streams and Buffers
  3. Standard I/O Objects
  4. Redirection of the Standard Streams
  5. Input Using cin
  6. Other Member Functions of cin
  7. Outputting with cout
  8. Streams Versus the printf() Function
  9. File Input and Output
  10. Using the ofstream
  11. Binary Versus Text Files
  12. Command-line Processing

Good Luck!

[Edited by - jwalsh on May 30, 2007 5:35:11 PM]
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
What happened to this workshop? no one is reading it anymore?
blog: www.brasilokau.com/games/blog
is this crose going to happen again ???
There have been a slow down lately, but that doesn't mean that the project is dead. However, jwalsh can't continue to speak in the void, so I suggest you to remotivate him by showing your interest to this workshop.

jwaslh is a great professional, who used much of his time to animate this workshop, but in the end it's up to you to give him the feeling that he should continue or not. The C++ workshop is really a Great Thing (as you may see, it spawned two other interesting workshops as well) and is really a good introduction to C++.

So let's revive it the way it deserves it.

Regards,
Yeah!!!! I always come here to see how thing are coming out. Unfortunetly I could not follow the workshop from the beggining, because I was busy by the time it started.
I'm reading C++ How To Program(as i remember jwalsh recommended it) hoping to start Project 1(after i cover the stuff thats needed) followed by Project 2. These projects were a really good and creative idea.

So I just want to give my feed back, the workshop is great and i think this material should be always available.

Sadly, only one person is not going to convence him to keep the project alive(i also dont think he should waste his time with the workshop, if no one is listening to him), but those that are following(i'm sure there are some), should give some feedback, post your questions and exchange ideas.

regards
blog: www.brasilokau.com/games/blog
I also just recently started the workshop, and trying to catch up, even though it takes a little more time when you have two jobs, church, and college as well.

This is an excellent and most definitely the best way I have found to learning C++. I hope that it also continues to stay up and flowing, as I would love to see the end result of all of this.

:-)
I haven't been following the workshop at all, mainly because I know most all that you have been covering, however, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep going, just so there is a free C++ resource somewhere else that actually teaches step-by-step.

That's my input.

Cheers!
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
go jwalsh go!

what else can i say? i just want this thing back into flow again...
Quote:Original post by F1N1TY
I haven't been following the workshop at all, mainly because I know most all that you have been covering, however, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep going, just so there is a free C++ resource somewhere else that actually teaches step-by-step.

That's my input.

Cheers!

Then you should have signed up as a mentor [smile]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

i just bought the book, if i have questions would i be able to post in w/e chapter i have questions in?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement