Sign in to follow this  

Physics and Collision Engines

This topic is 4094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys (and gals), I'm about to embark on my final year project at university, which is based around an AI algorithm solving a problem then rendering it in real time using DirectX (or possibly having the AI and rendering both done in real time). The problem is that this project will probably require some sort of rigid body physics and definitely need good collision detection. The problem is that I won't have time (or the inclination) to implement either of these on my own. Could anyone tell me of some good, free .NET friendly libraries? I've heard ODE is good, and that there is a .NET wrapper for it, but I've never used it before so I'm unaware of how quickly I would be able to pick it up. Without getting into too much detail, the basic requirement would be for movement of joints and the attached objects- would ODE satisfy this or is there a better library out there? Thanks.

Jason Zelsnack's .NET Novodex/PhysX Wrapper is fantastic in my opinion. I use it quite extensively in my own projects and couldn't be happier [smile]

His sample tutorial code that comes with it is easy to follow and he even provides a complete debug renderer to help you out. If you also register for an account on devsupport.ageia.com you get access to the full PhysX SDK with loads of code samples that are easily translated to work with Jason's wrapper.

The only downside is you are restricted to the free for non-commercial license that PhysX is under, but for a university project that shouldn't be an issue.

All the best,
ViLiO

This topic is 4094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.