Sign in to follow this  

C++ Questions.

This topic is 4093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm new at game programming, and from what I heard, C++ is pretty easy, (Hopefuly I'm right.) but I have a few minor questions. How excatly do I get a C++ programming, any sites? Anybody ever used Game Maker? It's really simple, but could that help with C++? Any other tips or advice you can give me, a newb at C++, please give.

Easy is relative. I heard finite math is easy. Well, compared to 4th year university trig, it is!

Try it out and see for yourself. To some people its second nature almost right off the hop, but to most people its got a learning curve, and to many its got a brutal learning curve.

As to getting C++ programming sites, googling "learn C++" is a pretty good start....

As to GameMaker, it is to C++ as HTML is to C++. It can teach you the basics of programming, but in the end, has nothing to do with C++.

As for advice... search. Search this forum, your question has been asked a hundredfold. Then search google, and make that number a millionfold.

Quote:
Original post by Random Noobie
I'm new at game programming, and from what I heard, C++ is pretty easy, (Hopefuly I'm right.) but I have a few minor questions.

How excatly do I get a C++ programming, any sites?

Anybody ever used Game Maker? It's really simple, but could that help with C++?

Any other tips or advice you can give me, a newb at C++, please give.

First of all, C++ being easy really depends on the person. For most, it has a steep learning curve. On to the questions...

1.) I think you worded this question wrong, are you looking for the program (called a compiler) that enables you to write in C++, or just sites that teach you C++?

2.) I think I used game maker once. Use game maker if you want to make a game now, not if you want to learn how to program, which will be A LOT more useful for you in the long run.

3.) Yeah, don't learn C++, at least not yet. From my experience, those who rush into C++ (like I did at first), end up either quitting, struggling with the syntax, or like I did, constantly questioning why I'm learning C++, and why simple problems can be hard for the programming beginner like me. My alternative to C++ was Python, but there are many others you can begin with, and a few that you should begin with. Some will recommend a functional language (I won't link you to the wiki definition, because as a new programmer, I doubt you will understand it), which is basically a language that focuses on a functional style of programming (also called a paradigm) instead of another paradigm such as Object Oriented programming. This probably doesn't make sense to you yet, but hopefully it will sooner or later.

Feel free to ask any other questions, but remember I'm still a beginner myself =)

This topic is 4093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.