char line[1024];

ifstream inFile;
inFile.open("file.txt");
if( inFile.bad() ) {
	inFile.close();
	return;
}
}
The program calls the createFromFile function fine, but bails out on inFile.open() (in CMol.cpp) saying: Unhandled exception: std::bad_alloc. I have no idea how that could work right before the call, but not after when nothing inbetween happened. [Edited by - Sfpiano on October 3, 2006 9:58:27 PM]

If you're trying to do what I think you're trying to do, shouldn't your code:
Quote:
inFile.open("file.txt");
be something like:
inFile.open(filename);

However, I don't see how my correction could fix your code. I'd try doing a step-through of the inFile.open() method, see EXACTLY where it's crashing due to a BADALLOC.

0) Is that your whole program? Cut out the rest of the program systematically until you find the problem. Simple file stream opening/closing *should* be perfectly robust, but if you corrupt the heap (or stack) somewhere, *anything* could fail later on.

1) Uh, aren't you including CMolecule.h in main.cpp or anything?

2) You rarely want to use .bad() explicitly to check a file. Just do if (stream instance). Streams have a useful boolean interpretation.

3) You don't need to explicitly create a std::string from a char* literal in order to call a function accepting std::string. That conversion is automatic (which is why conversion the other way isn't: automatic conversions both ways could cause unexpected ambiguities).

4) You ignore that string parameter anyway. I think what you wanted was "inFile.open(filename.c_str());" in the function.

5) But don't default-construct file objects and then .open() them. Just use the constructor that accepts a file name: "ifstream inFile(filename.c_str());" Why would you want the extra typing?

6) char line[1024]; makes me suspicious that you're going to do something nasty later on. You do know that you can read a line of text (with any delimiter you choose) directly into a std::string, yes? (std::getline(stream instance, destination string, [optional delimiter, defaulting to '\n']).)