Cheap/free web game environment

Started by
12 comments, last by JBourrie 17 years, 6 months ago
I'm looking for an environment that can be used to develop games that run in the web browser. Flash is a bit out of my price range ($900 is too much to pay for a toy). I have used Processing, but at any resolution above about 200x200 it becomes very, very slow (even when you're not drawing anything). I haven't yet found any good resources for free flash development (the tutorials are vague at best). I feel like I'm running out of options that don't involve huge amounts of time or a bunch of money. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by JBourrieAny recommendations?
Well, you could always give Java a try. I realize that many people have come down hard on Java for programming because it's an interpreted, not compiled, language - but it will run on any computer and on any operating system, and for what it's worth, it is a very complete, extensive, and powerful language to use. If you want to do game design, consider Java3d.

Processing is a Java based environment, and got really slow at resolutions higher than 200x200 (approx.)

Is that the fault of Processing, is this an issue that doesn't happen when using Java directly? I had assumed that the Java environment was to blame. Maybe not?

Might be Processing's fault, it layers a bunch of stuff on top of the normal Java canvas stuff.

I'd at least try Java to see if it's much different.
I'll do that. Java is pretty easy, just the speed hit had me worried. If that's processings fault, then I'm set with Java. Thanks :)

I haven't personally used it myself, but I hear WildTangent is pretty good? (I recommend JAVA, though).
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
java is JIT compiled these days and has pretty decent performance.
Not sure there is a huge amount of choice really, at least not if you want to try and target a decent marketshare. The main environments being Flash (its only $699, Studio is $999), Director/Shockwave (more expensive), Java. There are a few others (Virtools or Unity3D for example - both focus on 3D), but as I said the plugins arn't exactly ubiquitous.

I wouldn't worry about Java speed, in fact i'd hazzard a guess that its probably the fastest environment available, since all others are interuprted.

You can forget about WildTangent, when I last looked at it, it had been discontinued for sometime, they appear to be focusing on developing their own games from their new engine now.

So given your budget i'd say Java is the way to go ;)

Personally i'd suggest looking at Director, but its out of your price range and the 3D engine is getting a bit old these days. It does have the largest plugin user base for 3D and lets you quickly prototype. If you can find D8.5 then you get access to Havok, although its probably less featured than you are use to.
Its worth checking out mtasc which is a free open source action script compiler which allows you to create flash swf files, without having to buy the expensive Flash studio:

www.mtasc.org

This was also discussed on the following thread:

www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=410145
How about Virtools? I've seen some good things about it, namely this article about it. However, its website seems to be down or moved, or nonexistant or something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement