Sign in to follow this  

True Beginning

This topic is 4086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. As an aspiring game programmer I came here to learn more about developing my skills. I read a couple articles here about how to start small, which i'm fine with, but there seems to be a big jump between those articles and even this beginner forum. I've worked mainly in java and would really like to pick up C or C++ since this seems to be what everything is coded in. My java experience isnt too extensive, tho i feel i have the basics about object orientend programming. As a student i have access to many tools to program with. I want to focus on programming on a widows platform for windows platforms. Is the program Visual Studio Professional 2005 sufficient for this? Do i need anything other than this to write and compile C/C++ code? Also, the article i read around here said to start out with a game similar to tetris, then step up to breakout, then pac-man. This seems like a logical order to learn in. The problem is, when i came to the 'beginners' forum, i see rather advanced questions. I'd like some help finding a footing. to start making a game similar to tetris in C, are there any tutorials(including explanations) around for these type of small(learning) programs?

Hi, and welcome to the forums.
I would like to start out by saying that it might be a good idea for you to learn C++ before you start on C. This being that C++ is a much closer language to the one you already know (Java) and that I believe you will have a much harder time adjusting to the intracacies of the C/C++ languages if you immediately jump from a super-high-level language to a lower-level one. Also, yes, for your purposes in C/C++ programming, Visual Studio 2005 will be more than sufficient to aid you in programming.

I wouldn't recommend learning pure C unless you plan to develop for handheld consoles or such. Having that said, there's a C++ Workshop forum at the bottom of Gamedev's forum board, you may want to look around there somewhat. Have fun. :)

Quote:
Also, the article i read around here said to start out with a game similar to tetris, then step up to breakout, then pac-man.

I disagree with this line up, it is fine if you are good at C++ but for beginners this is rather wrong. Start with something like "guess my number," "tic-tac-toe," etc. All console based mind you, then when you feel you really got a solid grasp on C++. Then step it up to windows programming and code something like pong, breakout(modify pong), tetris, tile based game(s), simple 3d game.

Quote:
Original post by noSkills
I've worked mainly in java and would really like to pick up C or C++ since this seems to be what everything is coded in. My java experience isnt too extensive, tho i feel i have the basics about object orientend programming.

Good. Start with C++.

Quote:
I want to focus on programming on a widows platform for windows platforms. Is the program Visual Studio Professional 2005 sufficient for this?

Yes.

Quote:
Do i need anything other than this to write and compile C/C++ code?

No, though it will benefit you if you download some 3rd party libraries to make your job easier. Examples are things like SDL.

Quote:
Also, the article i read around here said to start out with a game similar to tetris, then step up to breakout, then pac-man.

I'd recommend Breakout over Tetris since the logic is simpler, but it's up to you.

Quote:
I'd like some help finding a footing. to start making a game similar to tetris in C, are there any tutorials(including explanations) around for these type of small(learning) programs?

I can't answer that, but often it's well worth you playing around with tutorials that come with libraries such as SDL or even in the DirectX SDK, which give you an overview of how the basic game loop works. Everything else just attaches to that.

This topic is 4086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.