Sign in to follow this  
axon

Bug is present only in Debug Mode??? What's so special about DXDebug Runtime?

My app _seems_ to run fine with the Release DirectX dlls. But when I run it with the Debug dlls some render-to-texture stuff isn't working. My code doesn't explicitly do anything timing critical. I'm running it in windowed mode using the SampleFramework (MDX1.1). Can anyone suggest what is hapenning when I use the Debug dlls which could cause rendering to tex to fail?

the debug runtimes have extra validation that can catch out some IHV hacks. IHV's have been a bit bad when it comes to this - they tell developers to use special values that the driver listens to but technically break the D3D9 specification and thus the debug runtimes will flag them up as wrong.

Without specific details on what you're trying to do it's difficult to say any more.

hth
Jack

A common problem here was the render target choice. The debug runtime adds tests wether a texture is bound as render target and as texture at the same time. Although discouraged and potentially dangerous, most drivers let you get away with this, but the debug runtime blocks DrawPrimitive()-Calls when detecting this. This even happens when the texture isn't actually used in the present PixelShader.

Happened to me several times when I forget to unbind shadow maps at the end of a frame and tried to render into it at the next frame.

Hope that helps. If not, you need to describe the misbehaviour more precisely.

Bye, Thomas