Sign in to follow this  

Restoring windows GUI properly?

This topic is 4086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had this problem for a long time, and asked it here several times, but never overcome this problem. The problem is that I create a Direct3DDevice9 in full screen mode. However, sometimes I want to present standard windows GUI dialogs. The problem is that even after I release all the directX interfaces, I have the full mode black window presented and some of the windows GUI does not present properly dut to this. For instance, I can't see MessageBox, eventhough it works, I just can't see it on the screen. So pressing enter would close the message box. How do you properly return the screen into presenting the windows GUI? Thanks in advance.

Why are you effectively shutting down your app? You'd be better to switch to windowed mode (Via IDirect3DDevice9::Reset()), or just use IDirect3DDevice9::SetDialogBoxMode() to allow dialog boxes to be displayed in full screen applications.

Using Reset into window mode doesnt help or make any difference.
I still cant see the dialog box.
The SetDialogBoxMode returns me an invalid call, probabbly because it need some specific formats.

What I am trying to do is to report an error.
I have an error dialog which I am able to show, but I need sometimes also message boxes.
In commercial games I have seen that when an error occurs, the game window dissappears completly, and only the error report dialog is visible.
Perhaps I should somehow make the main window completly dissappear and create a new window or only use a dialog window somehow?

Ok, I solved the problem.
I simply do:
ShowWindow (hWnd, SW_HIDE);
And it all works fine now.
The window can be hidden and I can still create window dialogs from this hWnd.

But if you have more tips and comments to enlighten me about this subject, or how it should be properly done. I will thank you.

This topic is 4086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.