Game protector

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 6 months ago
Hi all I'm looking forward to use ExeCryptor http://www.strongbit.com/ to protect my game. But before I'd like to know independent opinions/experience if any. My question is: Anybody uses execryptor? Can you tell me smth about? Are there some security problems? As I know some app protectors are detected by security software as malware. Thank you in advance for any reply Jean
Advertisement
My opinion? Don't bother. Your game is nowhere near popular enough for people to really care about "stealing" your assets. Furthermore, if they really want it, they'll take screenshots of it while it's running, or record the audio -- basically, if you ever present it to them in any way, they can take if they really want to (not that that makes it legal...)
I dont care about "assets" stealing. I tell about illegal use prevention after demo expiration.
As Jean5 said, it's really not worth it. Time limiting demos is very difficult. Things to consider: user changing system clock, removing then reinstalling the demo. The best method is to have a demo version of the code that can only load demo assets and a full version that can only load full version assets. Time limiting demos annoy people. Put a dialog in that pops up sometimes, but not too frequently to annoy (see Scrabout and WinZip for a good examples).

Skizz
The argument has been done a hundred times, and I'm on the side of skizz and jpetrie. But I'd rather not get into it again.

Now what you want to hear: I don't have any experience using EXECryptor, but I do have extensive experience reverse-engineering it, and its competitors. I was really quite impressed. It's widely agreed to be one of the best ring3 protections out there (at least by the hacking community). It's clean and easy to use, rather tricky to crack (though the Chinese have made much more progress than the westerners) and it doesn't totally kill your performance. However, it's quite expensive and rather intrusive on the user.

Don't think EXECryptor will stop your app getting craked, though. If it's worth cracking, it will be cracked, eventually. If not, then nobody will try, and you will have wasted your money. The sliver in between is not worth accommodating. Again, I highly recommend you save yourself the money and just use a very very basic home-grown protection or a free alternative.

Regards
Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Thank you for your post! I use EXECryptor, it works fine however from time to time I'm afraid smb will crack my execrypted app. But your opinion of a person experienced in reversing it is strongest of existing protectors has relieved my mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement