whats the process of game development?

Started by
10 comments, last by sreek 17 years, 6 months ago
newb here.... Plz help me out with this question. i have sarched all over the place, found not much. By " process of game development" i mean the core process and steps involved. design is ok, iam confused with the 3d graphics... should i design my own engine or can i use out of the shelf engine?. Where does all the programming part go into... is it the engine that i need to develop?... how do i get the charecters modeled through some 3d software, into the game, plz some body explain me the steps. Thanx newb;)
Advertisement
Each step alone could take dozens of pages to explain.

As to engine/3d graphics and getting your 3d models into a game, the answer is all the same, take a look at work people have already done. Then decide if you want to create your own engine or use one off the shelf. If you are using one off the shelf, they often have the tools needed to import 3D models.

You havent said what language you are working with, so I will assume C++.

Google any of the following for more information:
Crystal Space, Ogre3D, IrrLicht
What are those programs you mentioned, Serapth. Do you need those to make a 3D game, or can I make one just using Microsoft Visual Studios and DirectX?
They arent programs per say, they are a collection of code, libraries, documentation and tools needed to create a game. Most commonly refered to as an engine. And yes, you use them with Visual Studio. Everyone one of the ones listed will require visual studio ( or gcc, but lets not go there... ).
thanq so much Serapth.... i wanted to know just the steps as they are... like 1.xxxxxx
2.xxxxxx
3.xxxxxx ... not in detailed. :)

do i really need an engine (off the shelf or self made) to create a 3d game.

Thanx for the advice and iam gonna google right away.
There is no one set of steps because there are different ways to make a game. If you want to write your own from scratch (for example by using a game engine), the first step will always be to learn some programming language.

If you want to make a game without programming, you can use a GameMaker-like tool or mod an existing game. This will require a totally different set of steps.

I guess it depend on what you want to accomplish.
i dont want to use any gamemaker... simian
i want a game with all my effort(only mine)... i know C,C++.
In that case, the steps are quite simple, and are exactly the same as any other software development effort:

1) Identify what you need or want to do.
2) Do it.

Anything more specific is an implementation detail.
May be iam too early here... i'll visit this place later.
Thanq so much for all your help..
http://gpwiki.org/

-cb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement