• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
genesys

optimizing textures for low bitdepth

This topic is 4272 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Is there a tool to optimize a texture for certain bitdepths? let's say i create a texture with the renderformat RGBA4444 or RGBA5650 from my rgb image file. If the image contains gradients, these gradients will have verry obvious color-borders when rendered with this bitdepth. But if i could use techniques like diffusion, pattern and noise (as you would use when you create GIFs with small bitdepths in Photosohp or when you change the bitdepth to 8-bit palletized) on the images respecting the target bitdepth, I could improve the visual quality of the gradients at lower bitdepths. So... Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement
I'm going to move this over to GP&T - whilst you might be using D3D the algorithms you're describing tend to be fairly generalised. I'm not aware of specific characteristics of D3D that would affect any general computer graphics algorithms.

If you're using pixel shaders you might be able to use some more complex methods and unpack/decode the data on the fly...

Cheers,
Jack

Why do you want to generate 16bit images with dithering etc.?
How about using dxt compression? Give more info what you are trying
to do.

exactly what i told.

i can't use dxt compression since the graphicsengine i'm using doesn't support it.
The only way to diminish VRAM usage is to use lower bitdepths for the Textures, so I try to get the best texturequality at a low bitdepth and this could be achieved with dithering.

Then how about using Photoshop to optimize the images? Or Paint Shop Pro? They should both be able to optimize an image with respect to a given palette. In this case, your palette would be the entire range of colors available in the given format. Though Paint Shop Pro is limited to 256 color palettes so a compromise would have to be made. I have no clue of Photoshop's abilities, though generally perceive them to be better.

no - unfortunately photoshop is restricted too to 256 colors - at least by default... maybe there are som plugins?

Quote:
Original post by genesys
exactly what i told.

i can't use dxt compression since the graphicsengine i'm using doesn't support it.
The only way to diminish VRAM usage is to use lower bitdepths for the Textures, so I try to get the best texturequality at a low bitdepth and this could be achieved with dithering.

There are plugins you could find within seconds using google
You would save a lot of time looking yourself.

If you need any more advice then Explain what hardware or graphics engine restrictions you have.

Of course I already googled for it - but actually i don't really know what keywords i could use to find what i'm searching for.

I'm using Shockwave3D which bases on DirectX 7

There is a 565/555 filter for photoshop that uses error diffusion,
I've not tried it. - http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!