Graphics card Testing Parameters

Started by
3 comments, last by Krohm 17 years, 6 months ago
I wanted to test few graphics cards on the basis of my project. My project is to handle some textures and to manipulate them at runtime to get some desired effects. Some common properties are always bind to this textures. I can have a stack of number of textures to create some transitions. Now I wanted to test some graphics cards, to see the maximum number of transitions supported on them. Is there any tool? And if I need to test them manully by writing some profiling app then how to write them ? Please guide? Regards, Rohit.
MOV AL, 0x00MOV AL, ME
Advertisement
I would suggest releasing a beta/alpha version of your project, make sure your logging is working correctly and releasing this version to the public. Then ask the public to either send you the logs or have the program email it back to you.

The log should include things like processor, amount of ram, graphics card and the frames per second so that you can make some fine tunings or whatever.

I hope this helps.
Take care.
Testing isn't easy. Fact.

Public beta's are a good way, but beyond that you're pretty much stuffed unless you have the funding to pay an IHV to test it (I know Nvidia offers this service) or to actually buy/lease the hardware itself.

Another option is to have a look at the "Graphics Card Capabilities" entry in the SampleBrowser, or run a search for "cardcaps.xls" in your SDK installation. This lists a lot of common configurations - it does a good job of covering the major GPU's you'll encounter.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

If you want to write your own profiler then be sure to read and understand Accurately Profiling Direct3D API Calls. If you want to use a pre-made tool then head on over to the wonderful world of PIX for Windows..

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

What is a "transition" exactly?
I'm not sure but I feel this could be overkill.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement