Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best books for the job?

This topic is 6598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I do not know a good training book...but for your REFERENCE...this is the book:

C++ The Complete Reference - 3rd Edition - By Herbert Shildt

also...an adition reference that is necessary for the small nooks and crannies...

The C++ Language - newest edition? - Bjarne Stroustroup

... for using Borland C++ Builder 4 (BUT NOT FOR LEARNING C++) DO get a book specifically for it.

The Dummies book might be a good programming teacher...but it is a terrable to LOOK UP things when you need them....perhaps you'd do better looking for a book used to teach C++ in college for the training book. Especially a book on Data Structures, or Object Oriented Programming using C++ ...

make sure you do NOT try to learn basic concepts AND GUI/Windows programming together...it's ok to mix...say learn a C++ idea...then add it to windows code...but when you learn a new C++ AND a new Windows feature together...it's hard to debug/decouple them. I would make sure you can do the following using a CONSOLE (DOS box) app before trying windows:
1. Use all basic data types: char, int, etc.
2. Console (text) I/O.
3. Write and use classes.
4. Use pointers and dynamic memory.
5. Simple File I/O.
6. Good basic data structures - lists, trees, etc.
7. Use polymorphism (class hierarchies).
8. the STL string, list, and vector class.

Sorry if I overdid it...but I couldn't tell if you were new to C++, new to programming, new to games, etc????

I want to get some programming books for C++ and I'm not sure which ones are the best. These are the four that i think will help me the most, any thoughts?

*3D Game Programming in C++*
*C++ for Dummies 3rd edition*
*Borland C++ Builder 4 Unleashed*
*The C++ Graphics Programming Handbook; w/CDROM*

Basicly, i know close to nothing about programming. I currently own borlands turbo c++ and C++ builder 4 is on the way. I want to get C++ for dummies and work my way up. Are these books going to be helpful? Thanks

Xai: I own C++ for Dummies and its one of the best books on learning C++ that I've found. It does give a very thorough review on standard C and C++ features, and it teaches you how to use all of the basic things you just listed. It really shines in the area of learning OOP.

But I definitely agree about the reference book idea - you'll want to get one of those 900+ page-books that can answer just about any question you can think up They're great when you need to know a quick fact here and there - especially when you're deciding how to implement things.

DoubleDose: You'll really want to get several books on C++. My advice is to avoid any "C++ books" that teach MFC. They're a real waste of time if you're just trying to learn the language. And avoid getting a book that teaches C++ using DOS stuff - unless of course you want to make DOS games.

(Note: there is also More C++ for Dummies, but I haven't looked at it yet. It's supposed to teach all the more advanced stuff (i.e. memory management, common optimizations, very complex classes).)

[This message has been edited by null_pointer (edited November 25, 1999).]