Sign in to follow this  
FreJa

when to use shaders?

There's no disadvantages to using shaders, and in some cases there are speed advantages (on modern hardware). Basically there's nothing wrong with designing your engine so that it does not use the fixed function pipeline at all, and that's probably the best forward-looking way.

Quote:
Original post by AndyTX
There's no disadvantages to using shaders, and in some cases there are speed advantages (on modern hardware). Basically there's nothing wrong with designing your engine so that it does not use the fixed function pipeline at all, and that's probably the best forward-looking way.

y.. thats what I thought. However, I tried that example I gave (a skybox) with and without shaders, and there was an increase of mem usage with shaders of about 10k.
I'm guessing shaders advantages are more noticeable on bigger apps...

There really isn't any advantage in NOT using shaders, and in DX10 the FFP is going away entirely. I would guess the increase in memory usage is due the effects framework, which is pretty ineffecient in DX9. If it is issue you can circumvent it and compile the vertex/pixel shader directly (though this will mean doing with out the nice technique/parameter interface the FX framework gives you, and set shaders registers directly).

edit - Doh! I guess without that 'not' this post did not make much sense :-)

[Edited by - griffin2000 on October 6, 2006 12:40:15 PM]

Quote:
Original post by dbzprogrammer
When to use shaders?

When the fixed pipeline doesn't suit your needs. Otherwise, I'd stick to the pipeline, because I almost garuntee it's going to be faster...
On anything better than about a GF3, the fixed pipeline will be slower.

Actually, I think NVIDIA kept optimizing the fixed pipeline well through the 5000 series. Starting with the GF 6000, however, I don't think you'll get any benefit from the fixed pipeline -- and switching back and forth will clearly be slower.