Theme for game

Started by
14 comments, last by thundergunslinger 17 years, 6 months ago
'Ello, this is my first post and I am not sure if my question goes in this board so if it doesn't then could you please tell me where to post it. I am currently trying to pick a theme for a browser based text strategy game and can't decide what it should be. I have narrowed it down to 9 choices. Could you please rate them on a scale of 1-10. 1. Future Robots 2. Future Warriors 3. Medieval Warriors 4. Monsters 5. WW2 6. WW1 7. WW3 8. Space 9. Ant If you have any other ideas could you please tell me. [Edited by - lacorp on October 5, 2006 4:37:49 PM]
Advertisement
I'm going to assume that you want to know what interests us the most. The thing that interests me the most is seeing something that isn't just the same old damn cliche.

Future Robots - Done over, and over, and over again.
Future Warriors - Similar to the robots, but done a bit less often in text based games. Just a bit.
Medieval Warriors - No, please no. Unless you're talking REAL medieval (as in the crusades instead of the usual Tolkien ripoff). In which case it could be a bit more interesting.
Monsters - If you're talking Gozilla and Mothra, freakin' awesome. If you're talking the monster under the bed and the boogie man in the closet: even better. I like monsters.
WW2 - No. For the love of God not another one added to the pile of hundreds upon hundreds...
WW1 - Ditto.
WW3 - How is this different from Future Warriors?
Space - Meh. Been there played that.

So yeah, of that list I like monsters the best, especially if it were monsters under the bed and such. Also might consider cowboy/western or ants. Ants are cool.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

How about raging war between tax-collectors and normal citizens? Tax-collectors are evil, everyone knows that, yet nobody ever uses them in games. Or hardly anyone.

Anyway, why not something less western? There have been many colonial wars, Napoleon was out there, the Mongol hordes, the American civil wars, etc. And why not some cavemen tribes battling each other? You seem to be thinking in the stereotypical direction, but there are far more settings available. As for monsters, many cultures have their own monster types, you might want to look into that too.

And yeah, ants are cool. Wasps too. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by JBourrie
Medieval Warriors - No, please no. Unless you're talking REAL medieval (as in the crusades instead of the usual Tolkien ripoff). In which case it could be a bit more interesting.
Ants are cool.

qfe. i'd probably go with ants for more originality.
This space for rent.
Instead of ants how about a battle between all kinds of insects? You could have spiders, ants, beetles, worms, centipedes, bees, or whatever. You could have all kinds of different powers with all the different insects.

Or you could have a nature survival war game with all kinds of different animals fighting the battles (crocodiles, lions, snakes, or whatever).
Now I have to deicde between Animal Kingdom and Insects. Opions appreciated
Quote:Original post by lacorp
Now I have to deicde between Animal Kingdom and Insects. Opions appreciated

Since it's non-graphical, I like the animals idea better (Ants aren't nearly as fun to read about as they are to watch). The food chain could make an interesting backbone for a strategy title.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Ants would be cool. Insects in general would be cooler.
Isn't writing around a preset theme going to be a bit difficult? At least for me it would, I always get some sort of specific inspiration for a story that decides the theme, never the other way around.
_________________'Cuz.
Ants sounds interesting, you can use it for a strategy (build up an ant colony managing disasters like rain and humans, SimAnt clone would be nice too), RPG (regrow limb skill), 3rd person shooter (fighting spiders, jumping and climbing up walls like Dante)...

Possibilities are endless.
Quote:Original post by JBourrie
Done over, and over ... No, please no ... No ... Ditto ... How is this different ... Meh ...

Man, it ain't easy bein' J Bourrie. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement