My play for cheap positive reinforcement

Started by
12 comments, last by jbadams 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Gerrsun
Ah the sprite 'sheet' does bring up another question. I hear people talk about it like its one big bitmap and all the images are on it. In my program I just have a bunch of gif pics that i load separately.

My question is how do you parse these bitmaps once they are on a sheet. I could see creating a bitmap with all the images on it but how do you break them out?

and yes, I am looking to see if I can figure out how to do it myself, as part of learning to code in Python.

I can already see how this could be expanded so that instad of once sprite being a pond, I coud use multiple sprites which connect up and create larger ponds, or if I wanted to play with 2.5D, sprits which 'look' 3d but sit on a flat surface kinda like Sacred.

Simple, if all your bitmaps are the same size. Just line them all up row by row and save them in one bitmap. Then caculate offsets to access individual images. For instance, say you want the sprite that is two from the left and three from the top. If you have 18x18 sprites you would do x=18 * 2 and y=18 * 3 to get its starting position. Then you have to find a way acess just the part of the sprite sheet between x and x+18, and y and y+18. That part is API specific but it should be simple enough.

as for a good sprite editor I use GIMP. Its the best ive been able to find for free.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Advertisement
Nice job for a few months of Python. :)

But the art, well... let's just say it uses the typical Paint colors, too bright and flashy. Let's just say it's possible in Paint to select other colors than those in the default pallette. One thing to change is the contrast: it's pretty hard to notice the player because there's so little difference in color and contrast.
As for a good sprite tool, the artists I'm working with use Photoshop, and I've found it quite usefull for sprites too. Although for such small tiles, it's still a lot of pixel-work, so most of the high-end tools aren't of much use there. Still, it offers some interesting tools even for pixel-art.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Thanks Noobie and Captain P.

Somethign else to play around with. Sounds like the bitmap works very much like how I lay the images out. A base x,y coordinate multiplied by 18.

and yeah Ms Paint wasnt my first choice, it was just the only choice available at work. :)

Heck dont even know why I chose 18. Just made a square and stared putting in pixels.

Is there a good standard for pixels sizes? 48x48?

As for GIMP? Is it only for Mac?
Quote:Original post by Gerrsun
Is there a good standard for pixels sizes? 48x48?
They're generally based on powers of 2; 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 16x32, etc. It used to be very important to do it this way, but these days it generally doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to.

Looks like you're doing great btw! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement