Sign in to follow this  
Madhatt3r

Open Source?

I've got a couple of Co-Workers and we are putting together a game. Each of us has are own speacial skills to bring to making them game. However we dont want to make are own engine not cause we dont know how but the time it takes to make a decent 3D engine would take forever. My question is today are there any Open Source Projects that we can use to make a game are resell. Please post some links if you have anything. If you dont have info please dont flame.

Yes, most of them actually. Ogre3D has a number of commerical projects based around it. Flipside is, I do believe you have to make any modifications you made the then engine itself available in source form, but not your game code or game assets.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by clayasaurus
Check into Ogre3D for graphics and ODE for physics and Raknet for networking.

Raknet is not Open Source it uses the Creative Commons Licence.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by clayasaurus
Check into Ogre3D for graphics and ODE for physics and Raknet for networking.

Raknet is not Open Source it uses the Creative Commons Licence.

1) If your game is not commerical, raknet is free and full source code is provided.

2) If you go commerial, I believe the author of Raknet is not very strict on how much money you have to pay him, that is, depending on the situation, you could probably get away with not paying too much at all. It is more of a 'what was it worth to you' type of thing. I'd talk to Rakkar himself first but this is the impression that I got.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
...My question is today are there any Open Source Projects that we can use to make a game are resell...

Quote:
Non-profit applications or engines.
You can use RakNet for free under the Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial 2.5 license*. .

Single application license.
A Single Application license* applies to commercial software sold both online and retail. You may download RakNet immediately and are only required to pay when you ship your product. At that time you choose how much to pay based on what you can afford and how much value you feel RakNet has brought to you.

Site licenses and commercial engine development.
An unlimited application Engine License* applies to commercial software sold using any distribution model and also allows resale of your engine. You may use RakNet as long as you wish during development. When you wish to sell your engine or release your product, you may purchase a license at a fixed fee of $5000.