Sign in to follow this  
kingpinzs

Help starting with direct3d 9

I am trying to get started in direct3D 9. I have gone though some tutorials but I think they only way I can figure out what is going on is to make a single 3d room with a ceiling, floor and walls and ad textures to them. I don’t even want to move in it I just want to render a room with the camera inside it. So I can get the basic concepts of what it is going to take to do this. Is there a tutorial out there just to make a single room from scratch with out any other extra libraries or any thing else? The only thing I can do right now is InitD3D and run the render loop. So is there an easy way to make a 3d Room? Thanks for all the help and suggestions in advanced.

Quote:
Original post by kingpinzs
Is there a tutorial out there just to make a single room from scratch with out any other extra libraries or any thing else?

You need a 3D-modeler for this. I recommend "Blender", which you can download for free here: http://www.blender.org

Of course Blender is not a program where you can point and click and get results within 5 minutes, you have to learn the basics of the program at least for a few hours!

But when you learned the concept and the basics of this program, you are able to create your own models, which you can export to the x-file-format, when they are finished.

The x-file-format is the DirectX-Mesh-Format which you can easily load and render with DX-functions ("LoadMeshFromX", and so on). Search your DX-Manual for more information.

For Blender you need a tutorial. Since you come from germany here is a link to a german tutorial for beginners:

http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_Dokumentation

Here is the link for the english tutorial:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Perhaps you should first take a look at the tutorial, before you download Blender, just to see, what will expect you.

Hope that helps!

You have to export it. I am not sure how good the exporter for .x is for Blender. I haven't really exported to that file format. I think it is ok though.

Just go to file->export, and choose .x(DirectX) file format.

Also, I think you should learn how to render geometric shapes in DirectX first. I am talking about triangles, rectangles and that stuff. Then learn how to render simple 3D Geometric shapes. Like a cube. After that, learn how to texture map. By then you should have an idea to do the room you were talking about.

Chad

Quote:
Original post by Chad Smith
I am not sure how good the exporter for .x is for Blender.

I didn't recognize any problems up to now, apart from the fact, that the exporter only can export UV-textures assigned to the model, no "normal" textures!

I think, Blender-users who use this tool to export to DirectX should keep this in mind to prevent unexpected behaviour (when you assign a "normal" texture-file to the model it won't be referenced in the x-file).

HTH