FPS Game Server Tips

Started by
13 comments, last by astrospider 17 years, 6 months ago
thanks alot :)
I think I understand some more now about how to solve this. I will taka a look at the Enet librarie
Advertisement
Quote:
DirectPlay is deprecated and won't be developed more by Microsoft

True, looks like Windows Live is the next step down that track.

To OP,
You might like to take a look at RakNet it's a crossplatform networking library that supports all sorts of wicked things like autopatching and multicasting that should make your life a little easier.
It's also opensource and free for non-profit apps. If I remember correctly.
Quote:Original post by luke2
There is no issue with using UDP or TCP its just knowing when to use either.
You should use TCP (or your UDP equivalent) for things like log in, chat, log out, new map etc. And UDP for things that need to be fast, but you can afford to lose a few packets of like position updates.

Quake 3 uses UDP for everything. Everything. It's a very elegant solution.
I allways post this link in any TCP vs UDP debate, coz it gives a solution to the whole "unreliable vs reliable" and "out of order vs in order" debate.
http://trac.bookofhook.com/bookofhook/trac.cgi/wiki/Quake3Networking

Also, I reccomend using something like RakNet (someone link posted earlier) as they've allready done the low level work of taming the UDP protocol for games usage for you. Plus its open source if you want to change how they did something ;)
Allways question authority......unless you're on GameDev.net, then it will hurt your rating very badly so just shut the fuck up.
Quote:Original post by Lumino
Quote:
DirectPlay is deprecated and won't be developed more by Microsoft

True, looks like Windows Live is the next step down that track.

To OP,
You might like to take a look at RakNet it's a crossplatform networking library that supports all sorts of wicked things like autopatching and multicasting that should make your life a little easier.
It's also opensource and free for non-profit apps. If I remember correctly.

thanks alot for the tips ;) I shall take a look on RakNet
Quote:Original post by PhilMorton
Quake 3 uses UDP for everything. Everything. It's a very elegant solution.
I allways post this link in any TCP vs UDP debate, coz it gives a solution to the whole "unreliable vs reliable" and "out of order vs in order" debate.
http://trac.bookofhook.com/bookofhook/trac.cgi/wiki/Quake3Networking

thanks :), I shall take a look on the link, it will probably help me some ;) thanks alot!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement