Sign in to follow this  
_Sigma

double* to void*? Doesn't seem to work?

Trying to cast from a double to a void*. My code works for int, but I can't get the double cast to fully work. Any ideas would be awesome.
//void** d is a parm to this function

double* dblData = (double*)malloc(sizeof(double));
void* varData=NULL;

*dblData = getDblValue(); //set dblData

varData = malloc(sizeof(double));

*((double*)varData) = *dblData;
*d = varData;

] So if you sub double with int, this works. So any idea what i'm doing wrong? Cheers [Edited by - _Sigma on October 5, 2006 9:17:21 PM]

Quote:
Original post by _Sigma
Trying to cast from a double to a void*. My code works for int, but I can't get the double cast to fully work.

Define "doesn't fully work". Do you get a compiler error? Is it a run-time problem?

So, how are you using this? This prints 6.7 correctly for me:

#include <stdio.h>

double getDblValue()
{
return 6.7;
}

void TestFunc(void ** d)
{
double* dblData = (double*)malloc(sizeof(double));
void* varData=NULL;

*dblData = getDblValue(); //set dblData

varData = malloc(sizeof(double));

*((double*)varData) = *dblData;
*d = varData;
}

int main()
{
void * pd;
TestFunc(&pd);

printf("%f\n", *(double *)pd);

return 0;
}

EDIT: Probably the more important question is "what are you actually trying to acheive here?". This code seems very convoluted.

Quote:
Original post by _Sigma
My appologies. It doesn't crash or what not, but it spews out a funny number when I recast the void* to double*. 6.7 turns into -32748126 (roughly).
maybe its not a bug in the above code, but a bug in the way you're printing out the value?
I've found myself stuck on a bug for ages wondering WhyTF is this value garbage!!, oh wait, im using %d instead of %f...

Quote:
Original post by PhilMorton
Quote:
Original post by _Sigma
My appologies. It doesn't crash or what not, but it spews out a funny number when I recast the void* to double*. 6.7 turns into -32748126 (roughly).
maybe its not a bug in the above code, but a bug in the way you're printing out the value?
I've found myself stuck on a bug for ages wondering WhyTF is this value garbage!!, oh wait, im using %d instead of %f...

Well it was that too :P But there was indeed a bug in the above code. =)

Quote:
Original post by _Sigma
Ooh nice! Thanks a ton! Seems to work fine now. I'd r++ you, but with your 1337 rating, i think that would be more of an insult!

Cheers m8

OK, so the maximum rating you can have on these forums is 1337? Interesting... I was hoping to get above 2K someday, but I guess that would't be 1337. Is there some kind of 00ber1337 rating?

Quote:
Original post by deathkrush
OK, so the maximum rating you can have on these forums is 1337?

No, but a rating of 1337 is more leet than a rating of 1338, for example. So, _Sigma did not want to rate me up in order to avoid messing that up.