what cheap mic to get?

Started by
11 comments, last by yjbrown 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by synth_cat
Thanks for those links, Jaymar.

I'm particularly interested in Audacity - something I'd never heard of before. I may be wrong, but does the GNU license allow me to sell the sounds I make without paying royalties/adding captions/whatever?

IANAL, but my understanding is that using Audacity as a tool (versus using the source code) has no effect on the license of anything produced with it. In other words, I don't think you have to worry about it.
Advertisement
Dunno if I'm too late, but:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-MS7510-Mic-Pro-Pak?sku=270619

$19.99 and you get not only the mic but also a stand with boom and clip, and an XLR cable. Best deal I've ever seen on this kinda thing, mic ain't too bad either.

Only other purchase you'd need is an XLR--->1/4" or 1/8" converter, if you're plugging this directly into your computer. Otherwise you're all set!
1. Using Audacity is fine. It's released under GNU as opensource. It's basically freeware for now. Whether they change that license or not, whatever you produce with it is your own work. Copyright for your recorded sounds remains with you. There's no license they can make which will prevent that.

2. As far as a cheap mic goes. Something with a wide diaphragm is better than a tiny multimedia microphone. A dynamic mic will be what you're looking for now, but a capacitor mic is better for general use sound recording. They are way more expensive due to circutry and requiring a powersource.

There is nothing I could possibly suggest under $20 since most of my mics cost $300-$2000.

The only thing I did have which was free with my iRiver140 was the little mono microphone. It was barely OK to do recording where I didn't have anything else on me.
Game Audio Professional
www.GroovyAudio.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement