directx8.0??

Started by
8 comments, last by repeat4 17 years, 6 months ago
I have learned dirctx9 about three months.Now I want to development a role playing game demo with dirctx9.0c,so I download a book introdution this topic: <<Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX>>,published 2002,the comment of this book is very high,but this book's codes needs directx8.0.. quetion1: I want to development my game using dirctx9.c,but I aslo want to use some codes of the book <<Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX>>, Is it will difficult or not? that say,Is there much different between dirctx8.0 and dirctx9.0?
Advertisement
question2:
can I setup dirctx8.0 and dirctx9.0 on my computer at the same time?
Quote:Original post by repeat4
question2:
can I setup dirctx8.0 and dirctx9.0 on my computer at the same time?

Yes, you should be able to install the SDK's side-by-side. As long as you keep the compiler directories straight, you should be good.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Thank you for your reply!
As far as I remember there is not much of a difference between DX8 and DX9.
The Priciples are still the same. Interfaces haven't changed very much, and the SDK docu will help you solve problems related to that very easy.

The biggest changes probably were made to D3DX.
So you might find some extra functionality in the later SDK.

So go straight ahead, and gl with the game.

Jochen
Why did Doug Gregor create the empty directory?
Quote:Original post by repeat4so I download a book introdution this topic:

Where did you download the book?

Quote:
<<Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX>>,published 2002,the comment of this book is very high,but this book's codes needs directx8.0..

Then you have downloaded(?) an old edition of the book. The 2nd edition is based on DX 9.

Just a friendly tip: Try to learn what the code does, instead of just copying it directly from the book.
Thank you for all you ideas.

You don't need to install anything side by side. The latest DirectX 9 SDK comes complete with all the DirectX 8 SDK (except documentation) so if you have DX9, you can #include <d3d8.h> etc and you're good to go.

[EDIT] Ignore me. bakery2k1 has just pointed out in this thread that actually the DirectX 9 SDK does not contain everything you need to compile DX8 applications. Sorry.

[Edited by - EasilyConfused on October 6, 2006 10:54:51 AM]
Thank you for everyone,I have bought the second edition book which was translated into chinese today.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement