Sign in to follow this  
cqulyx

Why does Platform SDK define union LARGE_INTEGER in such a way?

Why does Platform SDK define union LARGE_INTEGER in such a way? ntdef.h defines the union LARGE_INTEGER as follows: typedef union _LARGE_INTEGER { struct { ULONG LowPart; LONG HighPart; }; struct { ULONG LowPart; LONG HighPart; } u; LONGLONG QuadPart; } LARGE_INTEGER; Though I fully understand what union is, I cannot think out the reason why it adds struct u into the union. In fact, the struct u is equivalent to the unnamed struct, so we can alway use the unnamed struct instead of struct u. To my thinking, the union should be designed as follows: typedef union _LARGE_INTEGER { struct { ULONG LowPart; LONG HighPart; }; LONGLONG QuadPart; } LARGE_INTEGER; Am I right? Who can tell me what the consideration for the former definition is, and what does it mean by the struct name "u" (means "unsigned" ?, I'm not sure.)? Thanks in advance.

There are two possible answers. Firstly, backwards compatibilty. Previous versions of the Win32/16 API may not have had the LONGLONG member. Secondly, not all compilers supported the anonymous structure, so again, for compatibility the legacy is left in. The 'u' probably means 'union' as in 'part of a...'.

Skizz

The original version was the struct u version. Later on when support for anonymous structs inside unions came along the other version was added for convienence. The old version couldn't be removed because by that time tons of code had been written for it.