Directx 8 sdk

Started by
9 comments, last by adimarjr 17 years, 6 months ago
I need the DirectX 8 SDK. Someone knows where I can get it?
Advertisement
I don't think it is available from Microsoft any more.

However, everything you need to compile DirectX 8 stuff is included in the latest DirectX 9 release. The documentation is another matter...
but when I try to compile the code it shows an error message that says it can´t find "d3d8.h".

I haven't used DirectX for awhile so I might be completly off [smile]. Don't you use <d3d8.h>?

EDIT:
Ok, I just checked in VS 2005 Express (#include):

<d3d9.h> Found.
<d3d8.h> Found.
"d3d8.h" Found.
"d3d9.h" Cant find header.

So it should work, do you have the most recent SDK installed? I have August 06.
That's really weird what Smit reports. I thought if you used quotes on a #include rather than angles, it would still look in the compiler include directories, but would just look in local directories first. Strange. Perhaps that isn't part of the standard or something.

adimarjr - have you tried doing a harddrive search for d3d8.h? If it's there, you haven't configured your compiler correctly. If it isn't, you probably need (as Smit said) a more up to date DirectX SDK. Just get 9 if you want to compile 8 code. It is avaliable here.

What compiler are you using, by the way?
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused
Just get 9 if you want to compile 8 code. It is avaliable here.

Despite popular belief, the DirectX 9 SDK does not contain everything necessary to compile DX8 code. It is missing, for example, d3dx8.h.

I'm sure you can download the DX8 SDK from somewhere, but not from Microsoft. Another option may be to find an old book which has the SDK on its companion CD - if you don't have one, try a local library.
Oops. Didn't know that. Thanks, bakery2k1, for pointing that out. I'll stop mis-advising people on that one [smile].
I'm using Visual C++ 2005 Express.

Sorry, the file it can´t find is "d3dx8.h". I did a search for it and it wasn´t found.

In an effort to make up for my previous error, I have managed to locate a site where it would appear you can download the d3d8x component of the 8 SDK.

Disclaimer - I have no idea if this site is allowed to host this file or not, or whether adding the d3dx component to the existing DX9 install will work for compiling 8 apps.

Good luck.
This thread may help you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement