• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
benryves

[.net] Getting right-click context menu items for files through Explorer/shell..?

This topic is 4370 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been developing an IDE, and part of that is a file browser. Here's a screenshot of the control I've written at the moment:
The items in the context menu are currently derived by hammering the registry and doing some crude conversions of their names (with no regard for internationalisation, of course). I don't know how else I'd do it - any bright ideas?

Advertisement
You pretty much have to get the apps that can be used from the registry. I don't know of any other way. What exactly don't you like about your implementation?

I'd have "Edit with External Application...", which would bring up a file dialog where the user would select an executable. You could even have your application remember which applications the user entered and then list them as a submenu to the Edit with External Application item.

Quote:
Original post by Machaira
What exactly don't you like about your implementation?
Mainly the way I handle the translation of the common names.

I like Rob's solution, though. It's much simpler and more effective. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!