Sign in to follow this  
Moolkye

Need a little GameDev Help

I am currently in search of some developers that are willing to work on a 2 game ideas I have. Currently I have no funding. So should I look for investors first? Because that is turning into a nightmare. Seems like no one is willing to take a chance. But these 2 game ideas I have are gold. both are MMORPGs. And both will redefine the online gaming industry. These ideas are fresh and new and have the potential of making me and the developers that wish to be a part of it, very rich. I am not a programmer. More of an idea man. I do have extensive computer knowledge, as I have been in the field for 15 years. So where do I go from here? Thanks Dan

Seeing as you signed up to post this, you may not be aware of how such threads are usually treated.

The gist however is that if you want it done you are going to have to do it yourself. No one wants to make some one elses MMORPG, hell if I could make a MMORPG by myself I'd do just that - and have my own ideas in it and full profits. A company simply wont be interested unless you have some sort of track record showing that you can make good games.

Most of us here simply do not have the resources, time or patience [smile] to undertake such a huge task.

The things that make your ideas gold and that it will "redefine the online gaming industry" may turn out to be very hard to implement properly, possibly this is why they havent been used before.

I wish you the best of luck with your plans, but I doubt you will get much help here or elsewhere. Its the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Note: its not impossible. I know of at least 2 members of this community who have made functioning MMORPGs. Both had to work at it themselves though.

[edit: you might find this worth a read]

Let me guess : A MMO where you can build stuff and destroy stuff, capturing enemy's cities etc.!?

I'm a good programmer, but I'm not ready to make that jump into MMORPG.
And the one who is, probably works for big company ;). What you are looking for are the top programmers. Even a very simple MMO, it is very difficult. And the way you are talking, it is not a simple MMO since you said you can be rich with it.

BTW, Show us your ideas + some story script, then you will get some feedback :).

First off, let me say I am sorry if this type of thread is not looked upon as a good thing. I am just frustrated at having ideas that could possibly be worth something, and no way to implement them.

And no, it's not that type of game. You'd be amazed at the idea I think.

I would love to share my ideas, but what is going to stop someone from taking it and running with it? Then they make all that money off my idea.

Quote:
Original post by Moolkye
I would love to share my ideas, but what is going to stop someone from taking it and running with it? Then they make all that money off my idea.

That is totally true. But I just dont know how you gonna make those ideas real :S...
Maybe start with small games, create a team of talented people, Then in few years (if the idea didnt come out in a game) start the project for real when your team will have the XP of.

It's the path I followed, and now I'm about to start a big 2D RTS game (with is much much much more simpler than a MMO).
And it's a big step for me, but now I have a good team and we are ready to make it!

Quote:

http://www.banderasnews.com/0610/nz-geekmyths.htm
please read #3 :)

now to be honest about it all, unless you are paying someone, no one is going to want to make your game. especially if its in the magnitude of an mmo. they are a tough one to sell, then there are hundreds of other complications you run into due to the lengthly dev time that comes with the nature of an mmo.

How do you know those ideas are gold, and how do you know they can make you rich? Have you done research to back that up? Have you playtested those ideas and checked whether they worked or not?
How do you know you can successfully manage a project of such size? Have you pulled off game projects before? Do you have an idea of what it's going to take?

I'm sorry if these questions come off as being harsh. But the truth is, such projects will be very demanding, so it's better to prepare yourself now than to succumb later. Being an idea man only isn't going to work. There's a lot of work to do, so you'd better get your hands wet - and you'd better make sure those ideas are worth it. Often, things work out different in reality. If you've done some level-design before, you should know this, and you should know the importance of playtesting sessions.

What I'm saying is this: start getting the required experience first. Don't blindstare on those ideas, get some smaller projects done to learn what it takes to create games and to get an insight in what works and what doesn't. Such experience is invaluable. Besides, when you start small and finish things, your credibility will rise, and your contact list will grow as well, provided you're a nice chap. ;) This can only be helpfull when attempting larger projects. Right now, I don't know you, I don't know how capable you are, all I know is you're just another guy that claims to have the next big thing in his head. Try to look at it from a different perspective. Incidentally, this is also vital for designers, since game designs have to resonate with the players, not necessarily with what we like.

Sign in to follow this