Thinking of getting the Torque Engine.

Started by
7 comments, last by Platinum314 17 years, 6 months ago
It's a very fancy professional 3d game engine that costs only $100. Very Soon the price is going to go up when the newer version comes out (which I get for free if I already have the current version), and people on the Torque site have urged me to get it now. The thing is that I barely have enough money for it. Do you think its a good idea?
The sentence below is true.The sentence above is false.And by the way, this sentence only exists when you are reading it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Platinum314
Do you think its a good idea?

That's really only answerable by you. It is a nice little package and, from what i understand, very easy to use. Is it worth $100? Only you know. $100 is a ton of money to some, and a pittance to others.

so... is having an easy to use engine going to be worth $100 of your dollars? Certainly don't rush to buy something you're uncertain of just because their salespeople fed you some lines about future pricing being different. that's like buying a car you don't know you need just because the sales dude tells you that in the future cars will cost 2x as much.

-me
You might take a look at the C4 engine, it is only $100 and I think it's a much better piece of software.
-----------------------------------Indium Studios, Inc.
The G4 Engine looks awesome, although I am sure my computer won't be able to handle it.

Perhaps I should continue looking for a free 3d engine that isn't too fancy, yet they tend to have messy code.
The sentence below is true.The sentence above is false.And by the way, this sentence only exists when you are reading it.
Well, non-free doesn't mean you'll be getting "clean code" -- if you think that's a selling point you'd better do your research (and that includes talking to people who own the engine who've mucked about with the engine's C++'s code -- not just its scripting).

While I have no experience with Torque in particular, I can assure that some commercial engines costing much more than Torque have code that is much uglier than you'd expect for the price. So make sure you do your research!
U'll get what u pay, at least for the Torqe engine
It has tools and nice network code...but the graphics code is uglier and very outdated. For many people making games these days, 100$ is not a big deal but if u think that 100$ weights to u more then think again. If u aim to have nice graphics and clean code then Torque (at least the 100$ version) is not worth it. I would choose OGRE3D (www.ogre3d.org) which is far better and up to date in the graphics field (and is free of any charge). It somehow lacks of tools but that will certainly change in the future. Take a look at the free engines first, asking money for a piece of sowftware doesnt mean is worth accuiring it!
In my opinion Torque is a good engine as long as you want to create a FPS
Even better if it is also a multiplayer
Some people claim that Torque programming language is messy
I dont agree, it is a well done C++ game programming oriented script language
Obviusly it is not easy to learn, but even C++ is not..
If this is your target, do not hesitate even though 100 usd are a big amount for you
On the other hand , If you want to make an other kind of game it is a pain.
Torque is not a multipurpose game engine
If you ask this question ,Torque people will try to convice you that Torque fit all
Dont' beleive them -:)
This is my suggestion.
It is a little bit fanatic comunity
By the way, if you are an amateur and you dont' want to sell your game , there are a lot of free of charge commercial engines
For example Truevision and Power render
Well, I have done more research, and it doesn't look like Torque is for me.

I am just a bit frusterated at this moment because I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and yet I don't want to use some engine that does too much. Perhaps I will look at some of the suggestions I have seen here.

I have some friends that have been working on an engine lately, maybe I should work on that some more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement