How To Make the Lounge Better

Started by
123 comments, last by Oluseyi 17 years, 6 months ago
After, say, somewhere between 5 and 10 pages, all political and religious thread invariably devolve into bickering. Forcible close after 10 pages (ie, pick a new topic - and don't just start a new thread on the same topic)?
Advertisement
Most people bail out of threads that go on for more than 10 pages. It would be impossible to prevent the spawning of a long thread for some topics, for example, the next war or similar high profile international event.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Yeah. I don't really think there's a problem with political or religious threads if they are about interesting and, preferrably, non-obvious aspects of the issue at hand. However, when the thread devolves, even if it started out well, into successive justifications of irrational emotional positions or sectarian partisanship, we might as well start over.

Of course, any solution that involves more moderator work will not be implemented. I'm personally far too lazy and busy to monitor anyone.
personally i against any sort of restrictions on what we should and shouldnt discuss here. maybe its me, but the kinds of thread that i see the most complaining against are the reason i come here. (crude jokes, religious and political threads especially) i agree with the general sentiment that there might be other forums to discuss these things, but the same goes for any forum on this site. a site isnt defined by the captions it puts above its forums, but the people that come there. i like it the way it is.

(except for those post your desktop threads, can we please ban those?)

j/k
The problem with the Lounge is that it no longer has any spice, any pizazz, any fire. I look at the list of threads and I see a list of boring shit I don't care about, made by what appear to be fundamentally uninteresting people.

Here is a perfect example of what I mean by "pizazz": Lisp is King

There's a thread that aroused some real intellectual controversy, as opposed to the A-vs-B shouting match. There's a thread that can be described with the adjective: epic. And behind it we have a person who, even if you didn't like him, certainly had interesting things going on in his head. He livened things up a little. Look at how he opened the post: "Lisp is outrageously fun." Exciting! Suddenly you feel like anything can happen, as if you're teetering on the precipice of a new uncharted world.

I'm not saying every thread should be about Lisp, or should be intellectually stimulating. I only offer that as one example (albeit a perfect one) of the kind of "spice" I'm talking about.

The Lounge is like playing one of those MMORPGs in which there's no story, and everyone's just killing rats. You constantly want something interesting to happen, but it never does. The Dark Lord never tries to take over the world, nobody ever invents a new kind of magic, and the NPC in the store never, ever tries to kill you.

Side note: My posts in "Lisp is King" are stupid. Ignore them.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by Tron3k
The problem with the Lounge is that it no longer has any spice, any pizazz, any fire. I look at the list of threads and I see a list of boring shit I don't care about, made by what appear to be fundamentally uninteresting people.
you're missing the entire point. If you aren't actively attempting to make interseting posts, then you are one of those fundamentally uninteresting people.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Quote:Original post by Tron3k
You're missing the entire point. If you aren't actively attempting to make interesting posts, then you are one of those fundamentally uninteresting people.
Incorrect. I don't post in the Lounge anymore, except on the rare occasions when my friends tell me about something going on here. I may get back into it, at which point you will see what I'm capable of.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
If we don't have political threads then how will GDNet ever bring peace to the middle east?
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
I have a suggestion (don't know if this has been suggested before):

Make a new forum-room for all political (and similar) threads, and let the lounge be more like Midnight suggested. This should please everyone. The political forum could also be more heavily moderated then the lounge, for example the mods could prevent certain users from posting in the political forum. Just an idea.
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight

1. Less serious discussion and more fun

2. More inside jokes

3. Fewer crude jokes

4. Less depravity

5. More friendly competition

6. Fewer Polish viruses

7. More pseudo-science and pseudo-mathematics
    I personally find them to be an extremely high form of comedy.

8. Fewer threads on girl problems

9. Don't post drunk or stoned

I'm not the end authority on what should happen around here. And some of my posts have gotten me in a lot of trouble before. But over the years, I think I have gained a unique understanding of what makes this place great, mostly because I lived through most of those threads. Perhaps I'm the incarnated avatar of the Lounge, or perhaps I'm full of shit. Whatever it is, dammit, I'm sick of coming here and not having fun.

1. Actually, I would like more of both. And asking for more fun is like asking for more snow... it's just gotta happen buddy

2. Again, asking for snow. Just let them happen, don't point out that we need more of them or we'll get hundreds of cheesy 2-day "inside" jokes. (zomg kitten cupcakes)

3. Eh, I feel like I have a good sense of humor and can drop a crude joke here and there that will be appreciated. I know we have kids on this forum, but I don't really think we should. I prefer to treat this like an adult society. At least the lounge

4. So now we're breeding serial killers?! Some people have a different sense of humor than you... but i agree with this conceptually

5. Sweet. Thanks for the tip.

6. Actually, I quite enjoy when someone finds something hilarious and wants to share it with the community. Don't click the link if you don't want to.

7. And I personally find them to be boring and trite. But, if you like them, by all means, post more. Just don't include this in a list of things we need in the lounge when it's just your personal taste.

8. I kind of agree with you on this just because it's obnoxious (since generally this community is rather inept when it comes to girls). Still, threads like that are going to pop up from time to time.

9. No. In all honesty I wish I saw more drunken posting. Comedy Gold, and a breakup of the monotony of things like #7

To be honest, I was actually pretty offended by your post capn. Who are you to lay down groundrules for how the lounge needs to be?! If you haven't been having fun with the community here, don't try to enforce the changes you think need to be made; just post something you like in hopes of inciting a meaningful discussion, and then go surf the web somewhere else. This isn't the only place on the internet for discussions, and while the community here is great, we don't need a chaperone to keep us as great as we can possibly be (in their opinion).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement