Simple demo, working only on some systems. Why?

Started by
5 comments, last by Grain 17 years, 6 months ago
I've got a simple windows application using the directX API. The problem is that it crashes on other computers even after displaying the graphics. It did work on my computer: GeForce 5200. But not on another computer with GeForce 5600 or 5800.. So it's probably not the video card. The program runs a some iterations on a friend's computer, displying the main menu, and crashes after a couple of seconds. If he is quick enough to hit the "New Game", he'll see the game for 1-3 seconds and then it'll crash. Could this be a memory problem my computer can live with but some others can't? I realize my question is too general but if you could give me some directions, as to where to search, from your experience it'd be great. Other than that I can only post the demo here - if you'd like to give it a run and tell me what you think it might be, it'd save me a lot of time. Demo download Thanks in advance, Ori
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
Advertisement
Runs perfectly fine here.

My hardware is:
Intel P4 2.8 ghz
1 gb of ram
ati radeon 9000 mobility
'Programming is the only artform that fights back'
First of all, it works fine on my computer.
Second of all - I like your game idea.
Get your game to write out a log file.

Write out when you enter and leave major functions. When the game crashes on another computer, you at least have an idea of where it's broken. It's a long winded way of doing it, but may be your only option unless your friend has a debugger and the source code for your game. (And some knowledge of programming)
Oh, could also be an out of date version of DirectX.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Get your game to write out a log file.

This has been done up to a certain extent.
I'll probably have to add more outputs to my log file.

As for out of date versions of directX, it's using DirectX 7 on computers that can run directX in 3D modes. So it can't be out of date.
Neither does the log file report of any errors related with DirectX.

Thanks to the people that have checked so far.
I'll keep on banging my head on the keyboard until I find something :P
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
Zip file is corrupt.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement