Sign in to follow this  
Ezbez

[web] One computer sees old server, another sees new

I've got a bit of a problem. One site that I frequent has just switched servers. However, my computer only seems to view the old server. On both Firefox and IE, I get the old server. I even downloaded Opera to make sure that it wasn't a cache problem, and I got the same problem on Opera. Next, I tried my other computer that is on the same network as this one. On that, I got the new server. How I can tell is that the old server has temporary 'This site is down for maintenance' messages, while the new one doesn't. I get those messages on this computer, but not on my other computer. I've cleared the cache, the browsing history, the search bar histoy, and anything else that I can find on all three browser, and nothing has changed. I'm pretty sure that this is something on my end, not on the websites end (I was IMing the owner of the website for quite a while trying to figure out what was wrong, and we both came to the conclusion that it was on my end after he uploaded a file that I couldn't see. Please, I'd really like to be able to fix this! If anyone has thoughts, I'd be more than welcome to hear them.

I presume when you switched server, you changed the DNS, you didn't migrate the IP address to a different box?

If so, you are waiting for the DNS change to propogate. I assume you don't run your own DNS. Some providers don't run their DNS very well and

- Set the update times far too long
- OR fail to update the serial number of the zone when they make changes.

It's possible your provider has done one of these.

If the zone has a long TTL (time to live), then you may have to wait this long before the DNS change is visible from all locations.

Mark

How's your network setup? Any local DNS servers? Try running 'nslookup', enter the domain name and see what IP(s) it resolves to. Both machines should resolve the domain name to the same IP(s) if the DNS is correct.

Network is nothing more than two comptures plugged into the same router. I haven't touched it since that other than a bit of port forwarding. Can't say that I know enough about networks to know what a DNS server is, so I doubt I've set one up. The two computers come up with two different IP addresses. They differ by the last two digit groups (or whatever you'd call a group of digits between '.'s).

Edit: Oh, and I just noticed that if I upload a file on the computer that's not working, it gets uploaded to the old server (my website is hosted on their server, too, so I guess I was lying two posts up, it's got my website, but it's not server).

Just telling everyone that the problem has been fixed. I don't know why it's fixed, I didn't change anything, and neither did the owner of the server. It just started working again.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Just telling everyone that the problem has been fixed. I don't know why it's fixed, I didn't change anything, and neither did the owner of the server. It just started working again.

Your PC caches DNS look ups. So one PC had the old IP address cached and the other had the newer one. You can use the ipconfig application from the command prompt to check your DNS cache or to flush it. So the reason it started working is that the PC with the old IP address refreshed its cache. You can use ipconfig /flushdns to clear the dns cache or ipconfig /displaydns to see all cached domains.