whens a good time to start actual game programing?

Started by
4 comments, last by nooblet 17 years, 6 months ago
im reading a book on python, and i must say, im aobut half way done, because i already know java, and this is a sinch compared to java? after im done with this book, is there more to learn, or do i just get a game programming book? btw im reading python for the absolute beginner
Advertisement
Write some simple games. Some text-based games, for example (Hangman, Guess The Number, etc).
The poster above me is right. A game can be many things, including a 'guess the number' program. So it really depends on how you want to practise the language you are learning. Personally, I use to make games with a new language as fast as possible. Often they start as simple text-based games and as you learn about using graphics the games get more interesting.

So, to answer your question; any time is a good time to start game programming. From the moment you know how to use 'if' and 'else' you can program simple text-based games.
Start with something text-based and then you will get the basics of the language down that way. Then look into a graphics API. Once you begin to code graphics you could make something like pong or breakout.
hmm thats a good idea, doesent sound too hard, when when and how do i start actual games like pong.
First, you pick a languange. Make sure you want to stick WITH that languange. Then you start testing your skills with that language with text-based RPG's and text-based games. Once you have mastered your skills in the text-based stuff, move on to a library.

E.G: I started with C++, made about 5 - 6 different RPG's / games, then I advanced to SDL...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement