SDL: Mysterious SDL_Rect related bug. (Solved: Not related to SDL at all)

Started by
2 comments, last by psa 17 years, 6 months ago
I am trying to code a 2D shooter using SDL. My computer system is a G4 iBook with Mac OS X 1.4.8 installed. I have encountered a bug that is really messing with my sanity. This is the code for my main loop:

#include <iostream>
#include "SDL/SDL.h"
#include "player.h"
#include "video.h"
#include "sprite.h"
#include "timer.h"
#include "spritefactory.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
  Video::init();  
  Timer::init();
  SpriteFactory::init();
  SpriteFactory::load_sdata("data/player.sdata");

Player player;
  player.fetch_sprite_set("player");

bool quit = false;
  SDL_Event event;
  //  SDL_Rect mysterious_rectangle;

while(quit != true) {
    player.update(); 
    player.blit_sprite(0);
    Video::flip();

//    Timer::start();
    while(SDL_PollEvent(&event)) {
      player.parse_input(event);
      if (event.type == SDL_QUIT)
	quit = true;
    }
    Timer::wait();
  }

Video::quit();
  Timer::quit();
  SpriteFactory::quit();
  return 0;
}

The interesting part is Player::parse_input()

void Player::parse_input(SDL_Event &event)
{
  SDL_Rect velocity = get_velocity();

if(event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN) {
    switch(event.key.keysym.sym) {
    case SDLK_UP: velocity.y += -1; 
      break;
    case SDLK_DOWN: velocity.y += 1; 
      break;
    case SDLK_LEFT: velocity.x += -1;
      break;
    case SDLK_RIGHT: velocity.x += 1;
      break;  
    default: 
      break;
    }
  }
  else if(event.type == SDL_KEYUP) {
    switch(event.key.keysym.sym) {
    case SDLK_UP: velocity.y -= -1;
      break;
    case SDLK_DOWN: velocity.y -= 1;
      break;
    case SDLK_LEFT: velocity.x -= -1;
      break;
    case SDLK_RIGHT: velocity.x -= 1; 
      break;   
    default: break;
    }        
  }
  std::cout << velocity.x << " " << velocity.y << std::endl;

set_velocity(velocity);

}

If I launch the program my player sprite will be displayed and when I press the arrow buttons it will move around on the screen. The standard output (printed from Player::parese_input()) reads something like:

0 0
0 0
1 0
1 1
0 1
0 0
1 0
0 0
0 1
0 0
1 0
0 0
0 1
0 0
-1 0
0 0
0 -1
0 0
1 0
0 0
0 1
All according to the expected response. But now to the interesting part. If I uncomment the SDL_Rect mysterious_rectangle part from my main.cc, my program breaks down. The ship is not displayed on my screen and standard output now reads:

-16400 0
-16400 0
-16399 0
-16400 0
-16401 0
-16400 0
-16400 -1
-16400 0
-16400 -1
-16400 0
-16401 0
-16400 0
-16400 1
-16400 0
-16401 0
-16400 0
-16400 -1
-16400 0
-16399 0
-16399 1
-16400 1
-16400 0
As far as I know, SDL_Rect is only a struct with four integers, how can it affect my program in such a way? I dont use mysterious_rectangle anywhere else in the program, the compiler even complains

main.cc: In function 'int SDL_main(int, char**)':
main.cc:21: warning: unused variable 'mysterious_rectangle'
it should have no effect on my program. Either I am missing something very basic and then I apologize that I am not posting in the beginners forum or SDL is doing something fishy (as the warning is mentioning SDL_main). Would be very happy if someone could find an answer to this behavior. Thank you. [Edited by - psa on October 8, 2006 5:22:57 AM]
Advertisement
Do a full rebuild and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes my linker does strange things that are fixed with a rebuild.

I don't know much about Mac computers, but is it possible for the stack to be corrupted in your program? Try making the mysterious_rectangle static or global. Or replace it with a declaration of 2 ints or move other vars aound. Just do things like that to see if you can affect the problem and get a pattern formed.

Good Luck.
0xa0000000
There is most likely an error elsewhere in your program that's leading to undefined behavior. Sometimes the presence or absence of a particular declaration can change how the undefined behavior actually manifests. In your case, it may be that when the rect is absent the bug is innocuous, but when present it causes the bug (again, elsewhere in your program) to lead to erroneous results. (I'm just theorizing here, but I've observed this phenomenon a time or two when debugging my own apps.)

So I'd follow Jack's advice, and also make sure you're logging, asserting, and so forth where appropriate to catch any sneaky errors elsewhere in your program that may be the actual source of the problem.
Quote:Original post by jyk
There is most likely an error elsewhere in your program that's leading to undefined behavior. Sometimes the presence or absence of a particular declaration can change how the undefined behavior actually manifests.

This is quite embarrassing as it turns out I never initialized a starting velocity which is also a SDL_Rect. Without my "mysterious_rectangle" I was just (un)lucky to get the initial velocity I expected while with the additional declaration things got shuffled around and I got another initial velocity.

Thank you both for your answers. They both helped me to look at things I stopped looking at a long time ago. Any moderator might move this thread to the beginners forum or delete it as it not related to SDL at all.

Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement