Other applications fail to work after running my DX8 game

Started by
4 comments, last by TheAdmiral 17 years, 6 months ago
After running my game (DX8) some other apps fails to work propertly. After reviewing the code of my game, i was unable to solve this. But i think the problem is in my renderer. So, may be there is some utils to watch how my game is using directx, load times, function calls, benchmarks etc...? My game is using DirectX 8. Big thanks! EDIT: Please choose a more appropriate subject line in the future.
Advertisement
Can you please give a little bit more information. You run your game and then other applications fail to start after you close your game? These applications would start normally if you hadnt run your game?

Are you loading libraries at runtime in your game? Are you sure you are freeing them afterwords? What error messages are the other applications getting? What kind of applications are they? Names? Have you tried using the debug runtime and running a debug version of the game and checking any warning/error messages d3d spews out in the debug window?

There may be some links in the FAQ that would help:

How to Solve problems
Im leakinf memory
Using the debug runtimes

[edit]Also, what makesyou think the problem is in your renderer?[/edit]
[size=2]aliak.net
Ok. Yes, when i close my game, other applications or some other games runs, but with very strange behavior. Games start loosing some textures, or start working very slow. Photoshop becomes useless, no one menu not working. This happens not only on my PC. My friends tells me about the same situation after running my game. After rebooting everything is working correctly as long as i'm not running my game. (I'm in the middle of development process now, and i need to finish it, so i have to start it recently).
I've used DevPartner to check memory leaks, but there's no leaks. Then, after turning off rendering this problem has gone. So i think, may be there is some bugs in my renderer.
Now i'm trying to find some utils to check how my game is using directx. May be there is some issues in renderer.

Thanks!
Check for Direct3D memory leaks (details in the FAQ entry IFooBar suggested - here), they won't be picked up by more conventional leak-tracking tools.

I was pretty sure recent drivers/OS's were good about tidying up after a program that leaked resources, but I know some older drivers had odd problems. Way back in the last millenium I had some hardware that I'd have to restart the PC for if I ever caused a leak on exit...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

What OS do you have? And what graphics card? Do you have the latest drivers?
Hi limpacp.

Could you tell us what libraries and interfaces you are using? Particularly any unusual ones.
This behaviour is impossible on a Win32 console application and nearly impossible on a Win32 Windows application that uses only per-process libraries. As you involve more interfaces, the chances of a system-wide leak occuring increases.

Which components of DirectX 8 are you using? Does the problem occur if you don't instantiate a Direct3DDevice9? Does the debug runtine report any memory leaks on closing? Are you using the Win32 debugging layer? Any persistent DLLs? Direct or semi-direct access to kernel-mode? Global hooks? If you terminate explorer.exe and restart it, does the problem go away?

If there's anything else you suspect could be at the root of the problem, speak up.

Regards
Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement