Sign in to follow this  
Ishioma

Computer Programming no good???

Hey. I'm new but have been looking at these boards for a very long time. I enjoy them very much because people are friendly and don't usually make others feel like they're asking dumb questions, thanks guys. Now . . . Everyone keeps asking, Computer Science or Software Engineering?? Well, I'm at a Community College and am enrolled in the Computer Programming program. Is this good or is it a load of crap?? I'm asking because while going throught the threads of the above-mentioned topic, nobody ever seems to mention a Computer Programming degree. I also remember reading a poster stating that there isn't a "true game programming degree" - which I can agree with - it just got me thinking about what I'm doing with my money right now. Can someone please share their thoughts? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Depending on where you live, community colleges are barely a step up from technical school and you'll not get nearly the education you would at a proper university.

The degree title is pretty unimportant compared to the facilities, curriculum, peers and instructors available to you.

I am not sure about your community college, but for the one I goto the thing that separates Computer science degrees and other programming degrees is one thing Math.

If I were you I would be looking at what schools locally you would be able to transfer your programming degree to a computer science program after you finish up your degree at the community college.

It is clear for most game programming the Math you learn in computer science will take you far further then the more business aimed classes you will encounter in a Management of information tech degree or some other programming one.

So while you are probably justified in your fears of not being able to break in with a general programming degree most all community colleges have agreements with local four year institutions to expand it into a computer science one.