Sign in to follow this  
LeChuckIsBack

Where to find DirectX extras?

What exactly are you looking for? As Joack said, DirectPlay has been deprecated for a whle now, and you're advised to use plain WinSock for most multiplayer applications. If there's something specific you need help with, either us or the Multiplayer and Network Programming forum might be able to help.

Quote:
...DirectPlay has been deprecated for a while now...

Well yes, I know, but that doesn't mean it's not working anymore [smile]. Besides, I think it's far easier to include some code from the directx samples rather than start learning winsock...

I've also seen a lot of people using it and I heard that directplay will come back when some xbox stuff will be available for pc or something...

Quote:
Original post by LeChuckIsBack
I've also seen a lot of people using it
People do stupid things. Fact. [grin]

Seriously though...

I see quite a few forum threads (not just here) asking about DPlay and why it won't work, but I rarely see them answered with much detail. It seems that most people have moved away from it which means if you get stuck you're likely to be on your own.

I have also read numerous reports about how routers/firewalls and so on tend to confuse DirectPlay. I'm pretty sure I've even seen people find the solution to be AV software classifying it as a threat and blocking the application [lol]. The point being that DirectPlay hasn't been updated in a long time, and in that same period we've all got a lot hotter on networking and security such that the more simple "old school" approaches aren't working as well as they used to...

But, I suppose if it works for you then go for it - as you've noted, being deprecated doesn't stop you using it [smile]

Quote:
Original post by LeChuckIsBack
I heard that directplay will come back when some xbox stuff will be available for pc or something...
I've not heard anything like this - have you got a source for it?

At a guess it might be a reference to "Live Anywhere" which is their strategy to link XBox Live multiplayer with Windows multiplayer - part of the Windows Vista push for gaming as I understand it.

If that is the case, and it does reappear under the DirectPlay name (unlikely) I'd imagine it'll be sufficiently different as to make it non-trivial to port from older DPlay to new DPlay.

hth
Jack