Sign in to follow this  
Monkhouse

More College

For the last 3 months I feel like I have been battered around by colleges, and decisions. 'We are the best', 'We are right for you', 'This is the best college', 'You will get what your looking for here', 'Where should I go?', 'Is this place what they say they are?'...So much to think about when making this very important decision. I feel like Im being tricked and if I go to the wrong school I will regret it, but I feel like there is no way to tell witch is the right school. BIG QUESTION: ><>< What should I be looking for in a college that offeres Game Development? What are important qualities that they should have? ><>< Here is the colleges Im looking at. If you have any suggestions about them let me know. Collins College, AZ DeVry University, VA, AZ University of Advanced Technology, AZ Here is a course description from UAT- could someone look at it and tell me what they think. - http://uat.edu/softwareEngineering/subPages/majors/subPages/gameProgramming/subpages/courses/ Guildhall at SMU, TX I have been accepted to DeVry and Collins, and I could easily start my education in game development this summer...but are these good schools? I have heard so much from both sides, and Im stuck in the middle. Guildhall is the one Im looking into now. Anyone know much about them? What is regional Accredidation, and is it important? Please, I need your appinions if you have some. I would like appinions from people going to these colleges, and from poeple working in the industry of game design as well. So lay them down. PS - Whats digipen? How come they dont show up when Im searching for colleges? Especially if they are so good? ______________________________________________________________ [Edited by - Monkhouse on October 7, 2006 1:55:51 PM]

Quote:
PS - Whats digipen? How come they dont show up when Im searching for colleges? Especially if they are so good?
I am currently attending Digipen, and as much as I don't want to sound like I'm advertising for them - they are really good.
Also, you might do well to check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipen
as well as:
http://www.digipen.edu/main/Main_Page

Edit: From the Wikipedia article:
Quote:
An important factor to note if you are considering DigiPen is the intense amount of work you will have to do. A traditional Bachelors Degree ranges around 120 credits over a 4 year span. At DigiPen, the B.S. RTIS and CE are both 154 credits. The Associate of Applied Arts in 3D Computer Animation is 80 credits, and the B.F.A. in Production Animation is 144 credits. A student can expect around 17-22 credit hours steadily throughout their stay at DigiPen.

I do agree, the workload here has been compared to M.I.T. on occasion and the dropout rate at the school is notoriously high.

I, too, am a Digipen student, and the school has its ups and downs. If you're willing to put in the work, you will learn programming very well, especially graphics programming. It is also a good way to get your foot in the door as you can use school game projects as resume fodder.

However, it lacks several things you would find at a traditional college. You're education will not be as well-rounded, which is a bigger deal than it sounds, and there is nothing to do there outside of school. No dorms, few parties (and those are usually pretty lame), etc.

If I had to do it all again, I would probably go to a traditional university for a CS degree. Such a degree can certainly be usefull in the game industry, but it can do way more for you elsewhere than a Digipen degree could. Plus, traditional college would, in my opinion, be way more fun. And face it, fun counts when you're deciding on college.

That said, if you are set on a game dev degree, I wouldn't go anywhere but Digipen.

I went to a traditional college the past 5 years and recently dropped out. I personally hated the experience, but I had no problems with the workload and constant studying. What kind of workload is involved at Digipen though? Is it all practical application or do they make you write endless essays?

MonkHouse,

I am a software development student currently attending The Guildhall at SMU. If you would like to ask me any questions regarding that aspect of the program (they have 3 separate concentrations: software development, art, level design) feel free to message me.

To address the importance of regional accreditation, this is how things tend to work: If you get a degree (under graduate or otherwise) at a school not regionally accredited then you have a very small chance of having that degree regcognized by many other institutions if you seek further education - even other non-regionally accredited institutions. It makes it more difficult to prove the validity of your education sometimes. I had the same thing happen to me for some under-graduate work.

The Guidhall offers both Master degree and Certificate programs. The coursework is the same for each with the exception of thesis work. I do not have an undergraduate degree and I am still doing quite well; it's all about effort and desire.

If I can't answer your questions, I can connect you with one of the professors or admissions. It's quite a tight group, so you'd end up talking with people you see on a daily basis.