Sign in to follow this  
Stompy9999

The Adventures of Blocky Man (demo)

I've just completed a demo for my new side-scroller, The Adventures of Blocky Man. The demo shows off the first level of the game. You can't complete the level yet, but you can play through it. A level editor is also included, so the level data can be changed. The demo can be downloaded here. Here are some screenshots: Well enjoy! If you spot any bugs or would just like to leave feedback, please do. If you would like to learn more about the development of this game, you can read my development journal here.

Thats a huge first level! Movement is a little jerky (especially in water) though, don't know whats up with that.

The camera could be more helpful too - trying to make blind jumps onto single tile blocks over a huge pit of spikes is pretty tricky (especially if you've got the jet pack).

Good stuff. [grin]

That's quite good actually. :) It's indeed a somewhat long level, although with some savespots dotted around that shouldn't be too difficult to handle I think. What might be more of a problem with the length is that it starts to blend together after a while - there's no really distinct area's or hotspot moments or however you call it. Might not be a problem, but personally I prefer to give levels a few distinct area's.

A few gameplay issues I had: when I got the jetpack, I sometimes couldn't see what's below, making jumping over spike pits actually more tedious than without a jetpack. Changing the placement of the jetpack or focussing the view towards the movement direction could help.
Also, there were quite a few 'staircases', a serie of 1-tile floor increments. Since every 'stair' takes a jump, those are somewhat pesky to move on. Not difficult, just somewhat annoying I guess. Slopes would help I think.
And I guess the default walking speed is a bit on the slow side... but perhaps I've played too much Jack Jazzrabbit. ;)

Anyway, good stuff, keep it up! :)

Thank you all for trying it out.

I'll make sure to get checkpoints working next, because indeed, the level can be very tough without them. I also noticed the camera problem at the end when using the jetpack, so I'll see if I can fix the camera when using the jetpack(maybe put more visible space under Blocky Man when using it).

Thanks again.

Alright, I think I made it to the end of the first level, but I'm not sure how to go onto the next level. I got to the point where there's a big down arrow and I just can't go any further to the right. I tried pressing down, but that doesn't do anything. What do I do?

Ran really good, only a few jerks every now and then. The level design is just plain awesome. Great work!

Btw, you broke one of the sacred rules: collecting 100 of something should give
you an extra life [grin].

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Alright, I think I made it to the end of the first level, but I'm not sure how to go onto the next level. I got to the point where there's a big down arrow and I just can't go any further to the right. I tried pressing down, but that doesn't do anything. What do I do?

That's all there is at the moment.

It's very cool, I actually like those graphics as they remind me of my old Visual Basic "using icons" times ;)

The game is fun though it would be nice to be able to control jump height by the length of how much the jump key is pressed (just as in Super Mario).

Finish the game ;)

I found the jetpack to be more of a nuisance than a help, due to the uncontrolled nature of the increased jump. Perhaps you could allow a normal jump, then a second (or held-down button) to activate the jetpack?

Other than that, I enjoyed it and will await your next version!

Quote:
It's very cool, I actually like those graphics as they remind me of my old Visual Basic "using icons" times ;)

The game is fun though it would be nice to be able to control jump height by the length of how much the jump key is pressed (just as in Super Mario).

Finish the game ;)

That's something I do need to find out how to do, because always jumping at the same height can be bothersome.

Quote:
Wow! your games are a work of art!
Its like the southpark of video games
You can perfect this style and make a really fun game, if you improve the gameplay to be more slick.

As a South Park fan, I take that as a big compliment.[grin]

I definetly have alot of work ahead of me to get the game polished.

Quote:
I found the jetpack to be more of a nuisance than a help, due to the uncontrolled nature of the increased jump. Perhaps you could allow a normal jump, then a second (or held-down button) to activate the jetpack?

Other than that, I enjoyed it and will await your next version!

That's a really good suggestion. I could make it so another key, perhaps space bar, is pressed to do a jetpack jump. I'm going to implement that, because then it will make the jetpack something that people will actually want to use.

Quote:
How about Blocky Bucks™

Yep[grin]

I want to thank everyone who played the demo. It looks like I have my work cut out for me, getting the gameplay polished. I'm just hoping by the end I can get the game to be as fun as some of the classic platformers.

O my god, I also have an abandoned game called "Blocky Adventure" but then changed name to "Cuby Adventure" about a year ago. My game character looks about the same as yours too, and enemies are around rounds as well. However, mine is a flash game written in actionscript and it is not a side scroller.

If you wonder how similar is my game to yours, check it out here. It is a browser game, so there is no need to download. The game is abandoned and unfinished. I might continue with this project if I get the motivation again. I will try your game when I have the chance. Looks good.

Quote:
Original post by dannielum
O my god, I also have an abandoned game called "Blocky Adventure" but then changed name to "Cuby Adventure" about a year ago. My game character looks about the same as yours too, and enemies are around rounds as well. However, mine is a flash game written in actionscript and it is not a side scroller.

If you wonder how similar is my game to yours, check it out here. It is a browser game, so there is no need to download. The game is abandoned and unfinished. I might continue with this project if I get the motivation again. I will try your game when I have the chance. Looks good.

That's really cool! Like a "Blocky Zelda" game. I personally think that you should finish that.

Thanks for playing!

Sign in to follow this