The Adventures of Blocky Man (demo)

Started by
19 comments, last by Stompy9999 17 years, 6 months ago
I've just completed a demo for my new side-scroller, The Adventures of Blocky Man. The demo shows off the first level of the game. You can't complete the level yet, but you can play through it. A level editor is also included, so the level data can be changed. The demo can be downloaded here. Here are some screenshots: Well enjoy! If you spot any bugs or would just like to leave feedback, please do. If you would like to learn more about the development of this game, you can read my development journal here.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Advertisement
It looks fun. I might have to give it a shot...
Addictive fun. Needs some sort of checkpoint system as it get's very annoying when you die when you've got very far.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
Yep, checkpoints are next on my list of things to implement. I didn't include them this time simply out of laziness.

Thanks for trying out the demo!
Downloaded and played it. It was lots of fun but the level is kind of long-ish for a first level(thinking back to SMB).
A checkpoint system is a must as previously mentioned.

Good Luck.
0xa0000000
Thats a huge first level! Movement is a little jerky (especially in water) though, don't know whats up with that.

The camera could be more helpful too - trying to make blind jumps onto single tile blocks over a huge pit of spikes is pretty tricky (especially if you've got the jet pack).

Good stuff. [grin]
Nice game! I'm terrible at it, though. Can't even get past the first level after about 10 tries.
That's quite good actually. :) It's indeed a somewhat long level, although with some savespots dotted around that shouldn't be too difficult to handle I think. What might be more of a problem with the length is that it starts to blend together after a while - there's no really distinct area's or hotspot moments or however you call it. Might not be a problem, but personally I prefer to give levels a few distinct area's.

A few gameplay issues I had: when I got the jetpack, I sometimes couldn't see what's below, making jumping over spike pits actually more tedious than without a jetpack. Changing the placement of the jetpack or focussing the view towards the movement direction could help.
Also, there were quite a few 'staircases', a serie of 1-tile floor increments. Since every 'stair' takes a jump, those are somewhat pesky to move on. Not difficult, just somewhat annoying I guess. Slopes would help I think.
And I guess the default walking speed is a bit on the slow side... but perhaps I've played too much Jack Jazzrabbit. ;)

Anyway, good stuff, keep it up! :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Thank you all for trying it out.

I'll make sure to get checkpoints working next, because indeed, the level can be very tough without them. I also noticed the camera problem at the end when using the jetpack, so I'll see if I can fix the camera when using the jetpack(maybe put more visible space under Blocky Man when using it).

Thanks again.
Alright, I think I made it to the end of the first level, but I'm not sure how to go onto the next level. I got to the point where there's a big down arrow and I just can't go any further to the right. I tried pressing down, but that doesn't do anything. What do I do?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement