Got a job interview coming up and I have some questions

Started by
24 comments, last by sammyjojo 17 years, 6 months ago
So I have a job interview coming up and I was wondering about a couple of things. If they decide that they would like to hire you, do they make you decide on the spot? There's a couple of other companies that I waiting to hear back on and I really would like to know my options with them, so if I have to decide on the spot, what would be a good way of saying that I would like to take a little bit of time to see what my other options are? Should I just go all out corporate formal for the dress code during the interview? I hear of game companies being a little more laid back, but does that not matter? I tried looking around for the average salary for a <1 year experience programming job and it's seems to be about $50k (latest that i could find), so is it a good idea to just shoot for the average (maybe adjusted a little to the area) if they ask? Finally are there any particular things that i should do/watch out for? General tips?
Advertisement
Hi Sammy, you wrote:

>If they decide that they would like to hire you, do they make you decide on the spot?

No.

>what would be a good way of saying that I would like to take a little bit of time to see what my other options are?

Ask, "when do you need an answer?"

>Should I just go all out corporate formal for the dress code during the interview?

Absolutely not. There are other threads here about dress code. You should read those. But to put it briefly: consider how you would probably dress to work as a programmer every day. Then gussy it up just a notch or two.

>is it a good idea to just shoot for the average (maybe adjusted a little to the area) if they ask?

I guess. Probably they'll just make you an offer. If not, you could try this: "I've done a little reading on game salaries, but what did you have in mind?"

>Finally are there any particular things that i should do/watch out for? General tips?

Yes. There are other threads, and FAQs, about job interviews. Find'em (it's part of what you need to do to get a job) and read'em.

Good luck!

[Edited by - tsloper on October 8, 2006 12:17:22 AM]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the tips.

Looking through the other threads on the same subjects, sometimes I people mention to bring things such as your resume and whatnot, should I bring that and anything else?
Quote:Should I just go all out corporate formal for the dress code during the interview?

The interviewers often laugh at the interviewees (is that a word) that dress all fancy for the interview (behind their back, of course). There is no reason to get all suited up fancy, it's just trying to hard. Go in and be yourself (unless you usually wear torn jeans and a dirty shirt... then step it up a notch or six).

Above all, be clean.

And yes, it's best to take an organizer with a few copies of your resume and anything else that might be useful. More often than not you won't need it, but it doesn't hurt to be ready in case you do.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Sammy, you wrote:

>people mention to bring things such as your resume and whatnot, should I bring that and anything else?

Resume - YES! Of course you should bring a few copies of that so that an interviewer doesn't have to look for his copy in the stack on his desk.

Whatnot - No, you can leave your whatnot at home. (^_^)

Portfolio/Demo Disc - YES. You should bring a copy of this with you. If you have a computer disc, and if you have a laptop, bring a couple copies to leave, and have it already installed on your laptop (you'll be taking the laptop home after the interview). If you have a paper portfolio, bring a copy that you can leave behind forever (it's common sense to make several copies of a paper portfolio, if you use a paper portfolio, that you can give away - read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm for more about portfolios and demos).

Quote:
If they decide that they would like to hire you, do they make you decide on the spot?

No. If they try, you should turn them down, because something might be wrong. A legitimate proposal never stands or falls with a split second decision. If you're a good programmer now, you'll be a good programmer next week, too.

On the other hand, most places are hiring because they really need people to help out, and they'd love for you to start yesterday, so they'll want you to make up your mind quickly.

If you say "I'd like one week to make up my mind" they should give it to you. If they don't, they'd better have a darn good reason why. Evenso, I'd be disinclined to hire on in that case, because if they can't be flexible when they really want to look their best (because they want to hire you), then it'll probably just go downhill from there.

For salary, read the Game Developer Magazine salary surveys, and look for the bottom end if you're fresh out of school with little experience. Remember to adjust for area -- Alabama is very different from SF Bay Area!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
> If they decide that they would like to hire you, do they make you decide on the > spot?

No. It's pretty likely that you're going to be interviewing with other companies as well, and they'll expect/understand that just fine. They might ask you "how your interviewing is going" - i.e. what companies have you been to, what you like/dislike about them, if you have any offers, and what the other offers are for salary wise. Of course, you can answer only what you want to answer - you don't have to reveal anything, it's just their job to try and suck any extra information out of you for their benefit. I wouldn't reveal other offers' salary numbers until they bring something to you - then take your highest offer and go back to the lower ones and ask if they'll match it. That could help even the playing field and you can make a decision based on where you WANT to work, instead of being biased by money.

> Should I just go all out corporate formal for the dress code during the
> interview? I hear of game companies being a little more laid back, but does
> that not matter?

I've never seen a game company that dressed formal. Your best bet is to simply ask the HR person before you arrive as to what kind of dress their company employees have - then match or beat it slightly. Virtually all game companies dress in jeans & tshirt. On my interviews I go for khakis & tshirt, just to look a little cleaner.

> I tried looking around for the average salary for a <1 year experience
> programming job and it's seems to be about $50k (latest that i could find),
> so is it a good idea to just shoot for the average (maybe adjusted a little
> to the area) if they ask?

50k sounds a little low, but "1 year experience" doesn't mean much - your level of competency is more of a determining factor. If you're good, you'll get more. Most companies that I interacted with seemed to be pretty fair, and all offers were virtually equivalent.

> Finally are there any particular things that i should do/watch out for?
> General tips?

*shrug* just go and answer their questions and try to learn as much as possible about the company / project. Some companies will have you sign an NDA - that usually means they're willing to give you a lot more detailed information about the actual project. See what their thoughts are regarding writing exception-safe software; that's always a fun one to ask (if you're not of the opinion that "it's too slow" /rant).

If they say they need someone "right away" - walk away. It doesn't mean they're interested in hiring YOU immediately, it means they're in trouble and interested in hiring virtually anyone.

You could always post your impressions on here (without the company names, etc) if you want more people to try and interpret what's going on.
Quote:Original post by tsloper
Portfolio/Demo Disc - YES. You should bring a copy of this with you. If you have a computer disc, and if you have a laptop, bring a couple copies to leave, and have it already installed on your laptop (you'll be taking the laptop home after the interview). If you have a paper portfolio, bring a copy that you can leave behind forever (it's common sense to make several copies of a paper portfolio, if you use a paper portfolio, that you can give away - read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm for more about portfolios and demos).

I know that I should definitely take a copy of my demos, but should I really take a laptop with the demos on there too? I haven't really seen anyone else mention that they took one in other threads. Would interviewers rather see the demos demonstrated on laptop rather then getting a disc? I'm only asking because I don't want to take unnecessary things if I don't half to.
Sammy,
So, play this through a moment. If you don't take a laptop, how's it going to work during the interviews? You'll be meeting several people. So talk it through, tell me how it works in your view - then I'll tell you mine.
(I assume you HAVE a laptop - if you don't, then ignore the whole thing - note that I'd said "if" before.)

Well I'm not sure since I've never been in a interview yet :) I would think that they would have looked at my stuff since it's linked off my resume (not sure what else would have gotten me an interview, since i just graduated), but since there's probably going to be more then one person that I'm talking too, this might not be the case.

Okay, so say I'm talking to somebody that hasn't seen my little demos and they look over my resume and ask me questions about my projects and whatnot. At this point I would most definitely have my demo disk, but are they going to want to see a demonstration? If yes, I could say, "look'y here I've got a demo disc" and they would reply "amazing! lets fire it up!" which would lead to me giving them my disk and then putting into their machine which is hopefully nearby and we would look at my wonderfully crafted demos. Do they really want me to demonstrate live during the interview? I'll admit that the demonstration would probably go a lot smoother if I brought my laptop, but do interviewers expect you to demo your stuff during the interview regardless of if you have a laptop or not?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement