Sign in to follow this  
wilhil

Remotly installing applications?

I thought I would get away from the lounge and post a serious question! I have an application that I want to be deployed on quite a few machines where the username and password is known, however it is not easy to get to the machine. I first saw this available in LC5, but due to the nature of the application, I thought it may be something to do with a exploit rather than something I should try and do legally. I have know seen it in a few other applications such as symantec anti virus client, where you can push the installation to other machines where you know the username and password. I have done a quick google and search on msdn, but came up empty, so I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this? Thanks

The antivirus clients are probably pushed using RPC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_procedure_call
http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms719418.aspx

If this is a domain, you can install using group policy.

There are other methods, but I'm not really into this stuff sorry.

Never thought about RPC! thanks, il look in to it right now.

Just wondering at the same time if this can be exploited by computers with no admin password or anything..

..but no virus/trojan what I am doing! want a master pc able to detect new pcs and basically... well dont want to give my ideas away!

If you want to write a server that detects computers on the LAN, be warned, it's not as easy as it seems. I used to work with McAfee Enterprise Suite, which would detect clients and push the anti virus. It has since imrpoved but used to have a lot of troubles detecting computers. I also currently work a lot with vulnerability assessment tools. These too are not 100% at detecting computers. Some points to consider:

Desktop firewalls - even native MS XP firewall doesnt recognise authenticating RPC unless you change the default. There is a KB issue for this because it should.

LANMan version - NetBIOS/SMB authentication has evolved over the years. If you use the wrong version and it fails, then for some computers it is 3 strikes and lock out. You consequently have to put some smarts in to handle this.

Wake On LAN - You may have wake on LAN issues for computers that are asleep. This can be a BIOS setting or operating system setting. By default you should be ok though.

If all of your computers are in a domain, leveraging active directory (ADSI) is the way to go.