Critique?

Started by
2 comments, last by TheUnbeliever 17 years, 6 months ago
I got bored last night and decided to write a Pong-like game (very similar to Pong, minus the clock because it annoys me :P). I thought it'd be interesting, given that I have done very little with C# - or indeed .NET. Also, I've never written a game before so some stuff was new to me. I realise that Pong's probably really overdone, and is very old hat to most/all of you, but it's something very different to anything I've done before. It can be downloaded at http://www.angusenterprises.co.uk/Pong.zip. It's just the folder from the VS.NET projects directory - the code's in there too, if someone would be willing to take a glance at it to see if there are any glaring errors (minus lack of comments). You want the Pong\bin\Release\Pong.exe file to actually start the game. You'll also need the .NET Framework 2.0 installed to run it (sorry). Controls: Player 1 (Right): Up arrow for up. Down arrow for down. Hold shift with either of these to go faster. Player 2 (Left - ignore if you're doing one player (recommended - two player is iffy because of the way I handle the keys)): W to go up. S to go down. Hold Ctrl with either of these to go faster. Pause/Break key pauses the game. Escape key starts a new game. To close, click the x on the game window, then on the start window which will reappear.
[TheUnbeliever]
Advertisement
Not bad. I liked it, and I played it for about a minute until the got stuck between the 2nd players paddle and would never come out, no matter what I did. lol. So yeah...only problem I had was with collision detection.

Keep it up.

Chad
Thanks for testing it. :) That was actually the wrong file I uploaded - that was playing around before I cleaned it all up with a rewrite. Fixed now. :)

Thanks though, good to know it actually ran on other machines... I had problems before, and I can't remember what I did to fix it. :P
[TheUnbeliever]
Just updated the file again, to take account of bat velocity when the ball hits it - otherwise you can get very nice infinite loops where you can just stay still and keep scoring.
[TheUnbeliever]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement