Which language should i use?

Started by
7 comments, last by mikeman 17 years, 6 months ago
Well first let me give you my background. When i was 12 i learned HTML, then got into CSS. At the age of 13 i was making modifications for various forum systems. Mainly Invisionfree.. I then went on to learn PHP. I created a text based MMORPG am now interested in making 2D/3D (eventually) games. Just basic things where you move sprites around mazes with the arrow keys etc. So what do you guys think i should start with? I was thinking maybe darkBASIC, although i'd love to learn C++ but i'm not sure if that is the right language too use for this sort of thing? So anyone got any suggestions on what i should start with? [Edited by - Zelnen on October 7, 2006 7:26:48 PM]
Advertisement
Edited first post & title.
I would suggest BlitzMax, which has now replaced Blitz Basic 2D. One of the best things with BlitzMax is that it is object oriented. Which means that if you work with BlitzMax you will have an easy time to later on jump to C++ or Java. However I do not know about DarkBasic so I cannot compare them. Note that BlitzMax does not have built-in 3D support.

There is demos for all of them, so I suggest you try them all out. :)
Hmm i have a book called Game progamming for teens by Maneesh Sethi. In the book they use BlitzBasic. The first version, the books pretty good but when i got stuck with coding there's no decent blitz basic community to turn too to ask for support? Thats what i found anyway.

So i was hoping someone would say C++. I've been browsing the site, and i like the sound and look off. This book. Although i live in New Zealand, and there's no retailer in NZ that sells the book. So ordering from somewhere like amazon would cost be around $100 NZ dollars.

:/ So yeh... if anyone knows any decent C++ game progamming books please please link me.

Though i'm not 100% positive that i'll use C++ yet, so you know, any suggestions are welcome and will be greatly appreciated.
Considering your background in scripts/PHP, you may want to consider Python with PyGame.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by yaustar
Considering your background in scripts/PHP, you may want to consider Python with PyGame.

I'm not so sure about Python, and PyGame... there banner says Takes the 'C++' out of 'Game develepment'. I'd prefer to acctually use learn C++.

So i think i'll be using C++ and DirectX. Most proboly anyway.

So does anyone know any beginners tutorials for C++ and DirectX?

Or perhaps some books? As i said in one of my above posts i've seen thus book. Click. But it would cost so much to get over to New Zealand (Which is where i live).

Quote:Original post by Zelnen

I'm not so sure about Python, and PyGame... there banner says Takes the 'C++' out of 'Game develepment'. I'd prefer to acctually use learn C++.

Or perhaps some books? As i said in one of my above posts i've seen thus book. Click. But it would cost so much to get over to New Zealand (Which is where i live).

I second python/pygame. Once you get comfortable in a language like python, picking up C++ won't take long, and its definitely more beginner friendly. No one said you could only ever learn one language, so I'd start with something simpler than C++.

That said, if you are set on C++, check out Gamedevs CPP workshop.
Quote:Original post by Driv3MeFar
Quote:Original post by Zelnen

I second python/pygame. Once you get comfortable in a language like python, picking up C++ won't take long, and its definitely more beginner friendly. No one said you could only ever learn one language, so I'd start with something simpler than C++.

That said, if you are set on C++, check out Gamedevs CPP workshop.

Thanks, i've been looking at the CPP workshop you linked me too and i've ordered the book ;) looks good. So thanks for your help =P

Quote:

If you already know you prefer C++, and you reject other languages because they're not C++, then why did you come here and ask the question in the first place?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement