• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
someone2

OpenGL Using OpenGL in Java

This topic is 4367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wondering what the easiest way to use OpenGL in Java is. I don't have a very strong experience in Java, but I just wanted to make an applet that uses OpenGL. Is it possible? If not, what is the easiest way to create OpenGL in a desktop program? Should I use Swing? Swt? Any links to tutorials would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot for all the help in advance

Advertisement
Both LWJGL and Jogl provide OpenGL access for a Java program, and both can work in an applet (although they usually require some special tinkering for applets to get around security/sandbox issues). They can also be used for desktop app - both will work with Swing, and LWJGL will also work with SWT.

Personally I'd go with LWJGL, it's more reliable and better supported. You might also want to look as Webstart as a halfway method of doing a desktop app but with simple deployment.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!