Your first 3D Game

Started by
14 comments, last by no hit wonder 17 years, 6 months ago
Lately I am have learning simple 3D Programming in OpenGL. I have a pretty ugly camera class, and I can move it closer and furter away to some geomtry (like cubes and that stuff). Now I know I am not even close ready to go and program even a 3D Pong Clone, but I was wondering what was y'alls first 3D Game? Do y'all remember how long it took y'all to finish it? I am really just asking cause it sparks my interest and so I can set some realistic goals maybe. Also, if you have any tips to a beginner in 3D, then I wouldn't mind having them eithier. Thanks a lot! Chad.
Advertisement
My first? That would be a 3d asteroids game, back when I was 15. I gave it to my brother for christmas. It had really nice particle effects, and I even hacked some bump mapping in. And it had big memory leaks, and a resource manager that was pretty smart, but really stingy, so it would delete textures if they weren't in use and load them again shortly after. :) It took me about 3 quarters of a month, having worked on my engine for... I don't know, a long time. Less than a year though.

Tips? Just don't give up. You will find that bug.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
I think I did a couple. My first real released game took about ten months to finish, and that was my latest release.

I did a couple of 3D demo games and those took about a month and a half apiece before I got bored of 'em.
I started on my first game somewhere between 01/02 and haven't finished yet. Worth to note is that I changed the gameplay somwhere between 2004/2005 and threwed out all code and changed languae and style(all styles(including spaghetti) in C -> OOP in C++). In short is the game a mix between half-life and resident evil.

My second game though was a lander inspired game where you had to go from a-b, featuring simple physics(gravity and force) and simple particle system(point based). Used a free engine(genesis3d) and a comercial(lesson learned) space-ship model so the game couldn't be released. Took about a few months to finish IIRC.
My first 3D "game" (ie. the closest thing to a game I've done in 3D yet) was a fairly simple heightmapped terrain engine done in OpenGL. It also implemented a really neat terrain smoothing algorithm, and never became a real game. Oh well...
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Thanks for leaving some comments on this! It has helped set a realistic goal. Anyone else?

Chad
A really good way to start is to actually do a 2D game just in 3D :P If you have your camera looking straight down the Z axis, then have your game run on the x/y plane it works really well. Then you can have 3D scenes in the background, and all your character models can be 3D, its just their always on the z origin (eg, every update set all entities z to 0). You can do some relativly simple games like that which look really impressive. Scrolling space shooters are the best, simple sphere-sphere collision on a 2D plane with 3D spaceship models and some asteroids in the background looks awsome but its pretty easy todo.

As for my first 3D game - it was knockoff, but I'd done a heap of other 3D demo's/sims befor I wrote that (such as antHive, Marbles, pFlock etc). Knockoff took me about 8 months to write, but half of that time was polishing, bugfixing and adding levels, game modes and effects. I had a semi playable version going after about a month.
Quote: A really good way to start is to actually do a 2D game just in 3D

That's actually a great idea. It'll introduce you to some of the primer 3D concepts, and obstacles, while still not abandoning some of the simplicity of 2D. And besides, nobody says it has to be crappy. I made a bomberman clone, which is technically 3D, but for all intents and purposes, it's basically a 2D game.

- Andrew
yeah, working with 2D helped me develope some general gaming concepts that i use in 3d.

My first 3d game was made with VB and openGL, took me about 2 weeks, at least it took me 2 weeks to abandon it. It was about a red sphere, that hits other spheres with a cone shaped bat. It consisted of a terrian that was very bumpy. A pyrimdal structure in the center. When the other spheres were hit with the bat, they'd be transported to a random position.

Since then i perferred c++. Before that i made a kinda 3D game, that consisted of sprites being scaled down along the z-axis.
A wiseman once said nothing, but no one was there to hear it.
my first 3d game was pong in directx9 :pp then i do a small arkanoid clone and then go back to 2d sdl. 3d maybe latter :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement