Sign in to follow this  
phyar

Demo of my Simple Physics Engine

Hello, Finally, I finished the demo of my Simple Physics Engine, you can download it here: http://phyar.cn.googlepages.com/spe.rar For more details, please visit: http://phyar.cn.googlepages.com/spe.html Any comments or suggestions are welcome. thanks.

Wow :)

Apart from it being really impressive - I just have two comments. One is the rather obvious one that supporting primitives would both speed up many situations, and also provide better rolling behaviour for rounded objects (sphere, torus etc). The other is that your API appears to use D3DXMATRIX directly - that would prevent it being used in many applications.

Thanks for your reply.
I would consider to support primitives in the future.
My API support DirectX directly, but it provide interface for OpenGL applications too.
Quote:
Original post by MrRowl
Wow :)

Apart from it being really impressive - I just have two comments. One is the rather obvious one that supporting primitives would both speed up many situations, and also provide better rolling behaviour for rounded objects (sphere, torus etc). The other is that your API appears to use D3DXMATRIX directly - that would prevent it being used in many applications.

Wow...very impressive. I can't really fault you on anything...it looks great, and ran great.

Maybe show a more complex demo of the vehicles/ragdolls. Personally I would have added a controllable vehicle scene (with jumps, etc.) and a skinned ragdoll (the ragdoll hierarchy attached to an actual character mesh). Have you implemented those two things using your library?

Also have you tested the scenes with a complex (50k-75k triangles) static world mesh?

But damn...looks very stable/solid...keep up the good work!

- Dan

P.S. What types of licensing are you planning on doing for commercial games?

Thanks for your suggestions.

In the "Joint" scene, you can see there is a basic car, but I think some special work need to be added for use in the game. There is also a ragdoll on the stair, SPE controls the bone matrix in the mesh, it's easy to implemente a skinned mesh. Joint resolver is separated from collision resolve system, so maybe some problems exist at present, I'll go on to debug with it.

I haven't tested complex mesh with that many triangles, but I know it could take a long time to initialize this shape, so a Save and Load function would be added to SPEShape class. After initialized, I think it can work fine.

SPE is commercial software, it would not be free for commercial use, other details are under consideration.

Quote:
Original post by dgreen02
Wow...very impressive. I can't really fault you on anything...it looks great, and ran great.

Maybe show a more complex demo of the vehicles/ragdolls. Personally I would have added a controllable vehicle scene (with jumps, etc.) and a skinned ragdoll (the ragdoll hierarchy attached to an actual character mesh). Have you implemented those two things using your library?

Also have you tested the scenes with a complex (50k-75k triangles) static world mesh?

But damn...looks very stable/solid...keep up the good work!

- Dan

P.S. What types of licensing are you planning on doing for commercial games?

Many users had told me that the dome ran slowly, I suggest to install the newest driver for your card and install newest DirectX runtime. It runs about 120 fps while test the first scene on my computer which with an ati mobility Radeon 9600 card. Sorry for inconvenience.

I haven't tried the demo yet, but by the screenshot it does look interesting!

From the code snippet on the webpage, it looks incredibly simple to integrate into an existing DirectX application.

Would you consider releasing it for free non-commercial use? I think it would be a good way for people to start using it and potentially pick up some potential buyers rather than charging for it right off the bat. (That, and I want to try using it![wink])

It is nice to see that you're using Tri-Mesh collisions only,
as I was planning to implent something similar but wondering if it
would slow down my game way too much. It looks like your's is running
faster than I expected though!

Very nice engine and good luck in the future :)

EDIT: noticed one bug however, when I try to stack some boxes in the first demo,
the thin plane is sliding away without any reason :)

Quote:
Original post by gustav

EDIT: noticed one bug however, when I try to stack some boxes in the first demo,
the thin plane is sliding away without any reason :)

Thanks for your bug information. I have observed that bug too, that happen because friction is skiped in some conditions, it will be fixed soon.