Sign in to follow this  
Pemaden

MSVCR80.dll was not found error

So I was just working on a program and all was going fine. All of a sudden I hit the compile button and I get the error: "This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found." I have no idea what could of caused this. There was another thread about this problem, but a solution was never found. I don't have the installation disks with me, so I'm hoping there is a fix that doesn't involve un-installing. Anyone have any idea where to start?

From the MSDN site:

Potential run-time errors
If a manifest is present in your application but a required Visual C++ library is not installed in the WinSxS folder, you may get one of the following error messages depending on the version of Windows on which you try to run your application:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135).

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling application may fix this problem.

The system cannot execute the specified program.

If no manifest is present in your application, the error you get depends on whether the Visual C++ library your application depends on is deployed in the application local folder or in a shared folder such as the System folder or WinSxS folder.

Note
It is not supported to redistribute C/C++ applications that are built without a manifest. Visual C++ libraries cannot be used by C/C++ applications without a manifest binding the application to these libraries. For more information, please see Choosing a Deployment Method.

If a Visual C++ library DLL (for example, MSVCR80.DLL) is reachable (ether installed in the application-local folder or in the System folder), you may get

R6034 An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

If the DLL is not reachable and Windows cannot load this DLL for your application, you may get

This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

To resolve these errors, you need to make sure that your application is built correctly and Visual C++ libraries are correctly deployed on the target system. To identify the root cause of these run-time errors, follow the steps outlined in Troubleshooting C/C++ Isolated Applications and Side-by-side Assemblies.