Sign in to follow this  
JasonL220

trig

(edited due to mooserman352's hint)

e^ix may have 2 results that are real if x should be real. This can easily seen from the fact that i*sin x must become zero to cancel out i. You could furthur determine the real values when setting that x into the cosine.

I would go into more detail if I were sure that this isn't some sort of homework.

[Edited by - haegarr on October 8, 2006 11:23:18 AM]

Quote:
Original post by haegarr
e^ix may have 2 results that are real. This can easily seen from the fact that i*sin x must become zero.

i don't think that's true. there is no restriction that x must be real, so cos(x)+i*sin(x) being real does not imply that sin(x) is zero.

Quote:
Original post by mooserman352
Quote:
Original post by haegarr
e^ix may have 2 results that are real. This can easily seen from the fact that i*sin x must become zero.

i don't think that's true. there is no restriction that x must be real, so cos(x)+i*sin(x) being real does not imply that sin(x) is zero.

That (i.e. your correction) has some thruth! I've narrowed my above reply accordingly.

i'm not entirely sure. the original post is unclear. typically, a person gives an equation, for example, x^2+3x = 3, and asks how to solve for x. in this case, the op writes an identity e^(ix)=cos(x)+i*sin(x), and asks to solve for a real number, ie pi/4. this actually means to solve for a case when x is a real number, but I'm pretty sure given the context that that is not what he meant.