Sign in to follow this  
Florin Cazan

Direct3D 10 or Direct3D 9?

I want to learn Direct3D but I don't know if I should begin with D3D9 and then learn D3D10 or learn D3D10 from the beginning, without learning D3D9, because I've heard that D3D10 will be quite different and I'm afraid that learning D3D9 will be useless.

Learning D3D9 will give you a whole lot of knowledge that will be useful when moving to D3D10, especially if you've never done any 3D programming at all. There are a lot of concepts that will be very important to know no matter what API you use. That's why in the OpenGL versus Direct3D threads, the point always comes up that it doesn't matter very much which one you pick first. Once you know one, learning the other should be pretty easy.

Also note that D3D10 only works on Vista (it might eventually work on XP, I think, though I'm not sure), and that it only works on D3D10 compatible hardware. Since there is no D3D10 compatible hardware in existence (at least not for us mere mortals), you have to use the reference device (i.e., render everything in software), which is utterly painfully slow.

So learning D3D9 is definitely what you'll want to do at the moment. This knowledge in general won't be outdated for a long time to come, if ever, and even specific knowledge of D3D9 will remain relevant for quite some time. Do you want to only make games that users of Vista with D3D10 compatible hardware can play? Some people don't mind that restriction. A lot of people, however, would want to avoid that restriction for quite a few years to come.

if you are looking to program as a hobby, D3D9 will be more than enough to make games for many years to come. Reguardless, you can hardly be expected to code efficiently in D3D10 any time soon because of the lack of support (read: non-existant) for it.

Quote:
Original post by Agony
Also note that D3D10 only works on Vista (it might eventually work on XP, I think, though I'm not sure)
It's almost certain that DX10 won't be retrofitted for XP. Not official, but nearly [wink].

Regards
Admiral

"It's almost certain that DX10 won't be retrofitted for XP. Not official, but nearly"

On Eurographics 2006, Peter-Pike Sloan (who worked on the D3D10 API for the last years) said, that there will be no DX10 port for windows XP. The reason for this is the different driver model, which would require to modify some code of the XP kernel - and permission to do this would not be granted by Microsoft.

Quote:
Original post by Brisco
"It's almost certain that DX10 won't be retrofitted for XP. Not official, but nearly"

On Eurographics 2006, Peter-Pike Sloan (who worked on the D3D10 API for the last years) said, that there will be no DX10 port for windows XP. The reason for this is ...
...they want to force you to buy Vista in any way they can.

Quote:
Original post by Grain
...they want to force you to buy Vista in any way they can.

Evolve or Die! :-)

In all seriousness, the next version of Windows is supposed to be a pretty big jump in many aspects. MS has every reason to encourage folks to make the transition.